News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Old laptop features that we hope will never come back

Started by Redaktion, July 18, 2022, 00:12:22

Previous topic - Next topic

NikoB

Quote from: Hunter2020 on July 18, 2022, 17:33:37OEM stopped using TN panels because they ALL dim the screen by PWM.  Consumers are conscious and very wary of PWM today which is why no OEM dares use them.  The Fujitsu TN laptop above is no exception, but still kicks the Huawei IPS laptop's butt even in the presence of PWM!  Of course, I prefer using the non-flickering laptop, but wrt image quality the IPS screen cannot compare!
Without exception, all IPS, like TN, use PWM. This is easily verified by the panel datasheets. Usually up to 30 kHz. Depends on how the laptop manufacturer sets it up at the factory. If PWM at a high frequency is much higher than 1kHz even at 5% brightness, there are no problems for the eyes.

But all AMOLEDs flicker vilely at 50-250Hz, and those where they allegedly increase the frequency to 300-600Hz with the accompanying "dc-dimming", the native contrast drops sharply there and there is no stone left unturned from the most key advantage of AMOLED over IPS/xVA .

TN is clearly more pleasing to the eye when reading text at a resolution close to IPS/VA. But it time is gone. Although the current cheap "IPS" panel with 45-46% NTSC are a real shame for the panel building industry, because. often horizontal viewing angles are worse than on expensive TN matrices of the past. Well, there's nothing to say about the shameful color space this "IPS" fake ...

Alas, 90%+ of consumers, which is amazing, looking at such shameful matrices in laptops and at the same time looking at luxurious panels in smartphones, where there are practically no panels below 72% NTSC even in cheap models, do not notice a striking difference in color space. Apparently most of the world's population is color blind. And therefore, marketers skillfully brought them into this situation with shameful 45-46% NTSC panels. :(

PdV

Quote from: NikoB on July 20, 2022, 16:20:10because. often horizontal viewing angles are worse than on expensive TN matrices of the past.

There are >1000 observed laptops on this website. Could you provide with at least one example where a TN panel has a better horizontal viewing angle than an IPS panel? I bet no, 'cause this is bs.

My eyes just bleed when I am looking at a TN panel. Go to a big retailer, like Mediamarkt, and look at rows of different models. The heuristic is simple: if the screen looks crappy - it's a TN, the ones with IPS clearly stand out as you can see the picture from all angles. In contrast, all TN laptops appear to show some blurry bleak blobs, tell me more about great TN panels then.

NikoB

For example, Samsung LTN154P4-L01 is better in horizontal viewing angles than LG LP154WF4-SPH1 (60% NTSC), and the text is more monolithic for eyes than on this IPS with a much greater resolution ...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview