News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

3 million smart toothbrushes cause millions in damage due to DDoS attack

Started by Redaktion, February 07, 2024, 00:20:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A massive DDoS attack involving more than three million toothbrushes infected with malware highlights the dangers of internet-connection gadgets, as less powerful gadgets in particular are often not adequately protected against malware.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/3-million-smart-toothbrushes-cause-millions-in-damage-due-to-DDoS-attack.800810.0.html

davidm

This is not a real story. https://cyberplace.social/@GossiTheDog/111886558855943676

Frank Hart

The notion that connected "smart devices" are a security risk to a normal home is fake. Every standard home router has what's called a "firewall" that prevents arbitrary ingress unless something has gone profoundly wrong.

Neenyah

Smart toothbrush is about equally useful as smart dildo. Add prefix "smart" to everything to bump the price and watch non-smart people buy that crap.

Amy Pond

Quote from: Frank Hart on February 07, 2024, 15:21:10The notion that connected "smart devices" are a security risk to a normal home is fake. Every standard home router has what's called a "firewall" that prevents arbitrary ingress unless something has gone profoundly wrong.

This article isn't talking about ingress into someone's home*, it's talking about egress from millions of homes to the Swiss website.

My firewall is good enough that I can create rules such that {IoT device} only has access to communicate with {IoT provider} such that this DDoS wouldn't work even IF the device got infected.

*If you're wondering how the toothbrushes got infected when they were behind people's home firewalls ... the way these things connect to their "smart" services is super sloppy and lazy, and if someone's DNS is poisoned or some other some situation, that could give the attackers their "in." And considering the general lack of understanding when it comes to networking and security, I wouldn't be surprised to find a large swath of home routers misconfigured such that they aren't providing the protection they're technically capable of.

patricia joanne neely

who on Gods green earth needs an effing smart tooth brush!!!for Gods sake didnt you learn how to brush your teeth when you were a kid. this is the standard of ignorance!!!

Erik

of course, a site called "NOTEBOOKCHAT" has this info... and nowhere/nobody eles... uh huh...

Bozz

kaikayai

Quote from: Neenyah on February 07, 2024, 16:05:46Smart toothbrush is about equally useful as smart dildo.

Incorrect. I can use a smart dildo to spice up my girlfriend's work life.

Reed Aqted20

Smart toothbrushes do not have internet capabilities. They send pressure data via bluetooth to an app. Eventhough the smartphone is connected to the internet, the toothbrush lacks any way of interacting with it. Fake news.

lmao

Quote from: kaikayai on February 08, 2024, 05:59:22Incorrect. I can use a smart dildo to spice up my girlfriend's work life.
he doesn't know what girlfriend is hehehe
guy just wanted to bring 'dildo' into discussion

Neenyah

Quote from: lmao on February 08, 2024, 13:45:28
Quote from: kaikayai on February 08, 2024, 05:59:22Incorrect. I can use a smart dildo to spice up my girlfriend's work life.
he doesn't know what girlfriend is hehehe
guy just wanted to bring 'dildo' into discussion
Says the tard who's fapping on Tim Cook and Apple's logo. lmao indeed.

lmao

Quote from: Neenyah on February 08, 2024, 13:54:46Says the tard who's fapping on Tim Cook and Apple's logo. lmao indeed.
now you wanted to bring 'fapping' into discussion lmao
what is going on in that little brain of yours i wonder

Billy

Not real. Please correct. www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/no-3-million-electric-toothbrushes-were-not-used-in-a-ddos-attack/

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview