News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

4 slick Linux distributions for frustrated Windows 11 gamers

Started by Redaktion, November 27, 2023, 22:19:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Steam Deck and Proton have done a lot for gaming on Linux. Users that were once tied to Windows for gaming now have multiple options for breaking free. Here are some of the best Linux distributions for getting your Windows-free game on.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/4-slick-Linux-distributions-for-frustrated-Windows-11-gamers.774379.0.html

A

Fedora isn't really a "rolling release", it just isn't an LTS release.

Also, Mint would probably be a better suggestion than Ubuntu as you get everything that is in Ubuntu but more new user friendliness. Thus making it a better alternative unless you want KDE

George

While this would APPEAR to offer folks with 'older' hardware a way to keep using it to play games there are a few limitations.

Namely, many if not MOST Linux distributions have DROPPED 32BIT support so those of us with 32Bit hardware are SOL when it comes to playing Steam games.

The ETERNAL HOPE is that Valve will release a 32bit CLIENT so those of us with still perfectly functional 32bit hardware can still play the <= 32bit games we purchased on Steam.

Joe

I think Nobara would have been a better choice for gamers than Fedora as it comes with features that most would have to manually install on Fedora to enjoy their games, including Nvidia GPU drivers.
Also, Solus is a pretty nice distribution which is friendly to beginners.

julian.vdm

Quote from: Joe on November 28, 2023, 08:34:57I think Nobara would have been a better choice for gamers than Fedora as it comes with features that most would have to manually install on Fedora to enjoy their games, including Nvidia GPU drivers.
Also, Solus is a pretty nice distribution which is friendly to beginners.

I run Nobara on my personal laptop, and I'm surprised by how low-maintenance it is. I was running Pop!_OS before, but I had weird brightness bugs and random slowdowns. After I switched to Nobara, it's been buttery smooth. Recently also made the switch from Nobara with GNOME to KDE Nobara, since that'll be the default starting with Nobara 39, and even that has been basically effortless.

YUKI93

I don't ever miss going back to Linux as my primary desktop OS after I made the switch to Windows. Also, I have zero problems running older pre-Y2K and pre-2010 games on my Windows 11 PC.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview