News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell G5 15 5587 (i5-8300H, GTX 1060 Max-Q, SSD, IPS) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, June 28, 2018, 16:14:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Constantine

So i have the newest version of this laptop for about a year ,the Same i5, 1060 ,16 gb ram 256 ssd 1tb HDD..so From my experience it was quite a bad choice and I wouldn't buy this laptop again..microphone and camera are terrible, the screen bazzels are pretty gross , battery lasts me max 3 and half hours which blows ...In games it's okay if you enjoy every 1-2 minutes FPS drops cause GPU overheats like hell and I could do nothing about ..a cooling pad helps but very very little ..sometimes problems with wi fi ..don't buy this sh*t

Dom

I have owned this laptop since 2018, it's by far one of the most poorly balanced machines i've ever used. Since buying i've upgraded both the ram and the SSD. The battery life has always been abysmal, lasting an hour at best. Forget about using the computer during that hour as it throttles the performance so badly that you can't even stream 1080p video without it freezing. It's performance is OKAY when it is actually plugged it, as you'd expect from the hardware. But calling it a laptop isn't very accurate.

Ashley

Great review! Very in-depth and fair. You picked out the only big flax I found which was the dim screen that came as stock. I've had this laptop for a number of years now and have really enjoyed it. It's been the best laptop I've owned, whilst not perfect it has served me reliably and ran all the games I've wanted it to (albeit sometimes with graphics on medium for newer titles). I've ran games like Red dead 2, the witcher, star wars battlefront 2 and fortnite smoothly with the upgrades listed below.

During the past 4 years I have added a stick of ram so it is now running with 16gb DDR4, added a 1TB SSD and replaced the screen with a bright TN panel (this final customisation was tricky but the screen quality is FAR brighter which I prefer).

It does get hot, fans can be a little noisy and the battery life only lasts around 1 hour 30mins for video playback, but again this is 4+ years on.

I love the keyboard, touchpad and overall aesthetic as it's not too 'gamer'. The build quality for a budget laptop is fantastic with it having metal on the lid and around the keyboard, it feels quite premium.

I'm currently looking to upgrade in about a year or so as I want to upgrade my GTX 1060 Max-Q to an RTX 3060 or above but worried I won't like the next model as much!

NikoB

G5 5587 is the quietest model on the market in real operation in the profile of maximum performance. With a certain tuning. And the largest in size and weight. You can't deceive physics - all the other laptops didn't even lie next to each other in terms of the level of silence.

But it has the most disgusting, tactile keyboard, an extremely poor quality battery (even at low load it can accidentally turn off the laptop when charging at 75-80%, after turning it on it will show 0-1% charge) and coolers (they tend to crack).

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview