News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP EliteBook 1040 G10 laptop review - HP's response to the ThinkPad X1 Carbon

Started by Redaktion, September 08, 2023, 18:37:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The EliteBook 1040 G10 is the business flagship from HP and a direct competitor to the ThinkPad X1 Carbon from Lenovo. However, the current Core i5 processor from Intel doesn't offer a lot of performance, and the display of our test unit doesn't reach the values specified by the manufacturer.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-EliteBook-1040-G10-laptop-review-HP-s-response-to-the-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon.747812.0.html

LL

QuoteBut then it is incomprehensible why HP would allow the processor to consume up to 52 watts in all the performance profiles. This will lead to fan activity in everyday operation, which otherwise wouldn't have to be the case.

How the laptop with this unacceptable characteristic can even get 50% let alone 88% valuation.

julia_top

Quote from: LL on September 09, 2023, 06:56:48
QuoteBut then it is incomprehensible why HP would allow the processor to consume up to 52 watts in all the performance profiles. This will lead to fan activity in everyday operation, which otherwise wouldn't have to be the case.

How the laptop with this unacceptable characteristic can even get 50% let alone 88% valuation.
+1 You are absolutely right, what I don't understand is how HP has put an Intel Core i5-1335U at 10nm++++ with high power consumption and temperatures and with a disappointing Xe IRIS iGPU.
He must have put an AMD ZEN 4 7040 Phoenix and he would have saved himself a lot of trouble. Let's not forget that Zen 4 is compatible with HDMI 2.1 and UBS 40 and DDR 5

Neenyah

Quote from: LL on September 09, 2023, 06:56:48How the laptop with this unacceptable characteristic can even get 50% let alone 88% valuation.

What's wrong with that? They reach that high for literally less than 1.2 second and you can always play with PL limits and undervolting with Throttlestop. 15W CPU in my X1 Carbon is reaching 39-40W for that quick burst ( https://imgur.com/k9oeib2 ), but I can push that safely to 48W in Throttlestop.

The main issue with this HP is that is has somewhat high noise levels at max load. Hopefully BIOS update can fix that soon enough. Other than that it looks like a pretty good device for a bit too high price.

Quote from: julia_top on September 09, 2023, 12:39:05+1 You are absolutely right, what I don't understand is how HP has put an Intel Core i5-1335U at 10nm++++ with high power consumption and temperatures and with a disappointing Xe IRIS iGPU.
7040 is horrible in power consumption (idle especially, AMD can only dream about 2.8 Watts), it would increase its already high-ish price and how exactly are high temperatures here with Intel when it's literally almost always cool as shown on Flir images along with that table of temperatures? Also this part from the review:

Quote"The surface temperatures remain unproblematic at all times. During idle operation and under low load, the business laptop hardly warms, and even under maximum load, we measure a maximum temperature of 45 °C (113 °F) in the central rear area at the bottom. With that, you should always be able to run the EliteBook on your lap."

LL

Quoteyou can always play with PL limits and undervolting with Throttlestop.

You think a computer user  10 to 100 years old should have to get into what is Throttlestop?

Is that your defence for a simple computer that do not have a powerful GPU, don't have a powerful CPU but still makes high noise that need to be babysitted?

This when a 200 euro smartphone is totally silent doing same stuff...

Neenyah

Quote from: LL on September 10, 2023, 00:31:15You think a computer user  10 to 100 years old should have to get into what is Throttlestop?

Is that your defence for a simple computer that do not have a powerful GPU, don't have a powerful CPU but still makes high noise that need to be babysitted?
I was referring to your comment about 52 Watts and I even specifically quoted you on that, nothing else. If you find normal behaviour of boosting that high for 1.2 second to be problematic then you can use Throttlestop and limit that to 15W if you want. I doubt that majority of computer users 10 to 100 years old will find that to be a problem though.

And regarding unnecessarily loud fan that will hopefully get fixed by a BIOS update, that's on HP to deal with. Lenovo often has those same problems and they pretty much always fix them when they push an update (BIOS). If HP doesn't fix it then it's a product to ignore because there really is no reason to be as loud as it is. But other than that it's a pretty nice laptop and I quite like it despite not being a particular "HP-person".

Quote from: LL on September 10, 2023, 00:31:15This when a 200 euro smartphone is totally silent doing same stuff...
There is a physical fan inside of a smartphone?

Edit: I went to check what Intel says about max turbo power for this specific CPU and it is 55W ( https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/232153/intel-core-i51335u-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html ). It's not even 1.2s anymore but much shorter, it used to be 1.2 from 10th to 12th gen.

LL

Quotethat's on HP to deal with.
!? That is what i am saying, they did not deal with it and if Lenovo or anyone does the same crap i am here to say it.

QuoteThere is a physical fan inside of a smartphone?

Are you making yourself dumb, don't you know that a physical fan can be turned off?
There isn't because it do not need it, that is the point. Silent working, zero noise for office and internet navigation should be one of missions of laptop computers builders.
Why 20 years latter with exponential increase in performance you can't  work in Office completely silent or just playing an Mp3 for music in a laptop?

Neenyah

Quote from: LL on September 10, 2023, 02:41:12!? That is what i am saying, they did not deal with it and if Lenovo or anyone does the same crap i am here to say it.
And there is nothing wrong with that so we agree about it (I guess).

Quote from: LL on September 10, 2023, 02:41:12Are you making yourself dumb, don't you know that a physical fan can be turned off?
There isn't because it do not need it, that is the point.
Nhf but it's not me comparing two completely different things. And phones (those powerful ones at least) thermal throttle themselves to hell; just check the Galaxy Z Fold ( https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-Galaxy-Z-Fold5-review-Small-steps-toward-being-the-best-foldable-smartphone.743358.0.html ) with surface temperatures reaching higher than this laptop here gets - 48.6°C for a phone! Also this part from the review:

QuoteIn GFXBench, the plus in performance compared to the Fold4 is not reflected in consistently higher scores, although, the cause here is more likely to be thermal problems and the accompanying throttling effects.

Plus throttling in cons. Check any other midrange to flagship and they all have the same identical behaviour (or they don't throttle but they get comically bad battery life with surface temperatures of 55-60°C).

Quote from: LL on September 10, 2023, 02:41:12Silent working, zero noise for office and internet navigation should be one of missions of laptop computers builders.
Why 20 years latter with exponential increase in performance you can't  work in Office completely silent or just playing an Mp3 for music in a laptop?
My X1 Carbon is completely silent when doing those mentioned things, fan speed 0 rpm as reported by HWiNFO. 🤷�♂️

RobertJasiek

Quote from: Neenyah on September 10, 2023, 03:03:26My X1 Carbon is completely silent when doing those mentioned things, fan speed 0 rpm

For this information to be useful, please specify exactly what X1 Carbon with what UEFI version!

LL

Quote... but it's not me comparing two completely different things. And phones (those powerful ones at least) thermal throttle themselves to hell; just check the Galaxy Z Fold  with surface temperatures reaching higher than this laptop here gets - 48.6°C for a phone!

It is indeed you comparing different things.
That smartphone was being stress tested. It was not doing office stuff or playing music.

I have no problem that a laptop have the fans on doing Cinebench. I have a problem when i just want to listen to a simple mp3, do office and fans are turned on because the laptop has such a bad engineering that is easily defeated by a much small device.

QueryGuy

Are you dimensions for the HP EliteBook 845 G10 correct?  I get 315.6 x 224 x 19.2 mm from HP site??

pb79

Testing procedure should include CPU performance using different power modes and remaining battery. In case of Windows laptops there are serious performance drops using different factory power modes. Also CPU performance is NOT flat over remaining battery and sometimes there are serious performance bugs related to CPU performance after 15% battery remaining threshold. Apple laptops behave differently that Windows laptops and have a different threshold when performance degrade (performance is flat and threshold is lower). When you test CPU performance on 100% battery then you will never catch CPU performance bugs on battery. I reported such serious bug to Dell when Precision 5540 was released (below 15% they set too low CPU frequency so to open work was not possible).

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview