News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Most OEMs treat AMD CPUs like second-class citizens when it comes to laptops. Now is the time for change

Started by Redaktion, October 20, 2019, 10:02:44

Previous topic - Next topic

WhengLi

Quote from: Doctor Hue on October 22, 2019, 04:47:43
Quote1065G7's Graphics marks 3150 in 3DMark Firestrike Graphics in 25W configuration, only need 12W. But Vega10 need 30W to reach this points. Read Vega10 notebooks review in Notebookcheck.com, you will find that most of notebooks failed to reach 3000 (Firestrike Graphics).
And about the game performance, you should also read the review of R9-3900X in TechPowerUp.com, which serves as a famous vertical media. (GPU-Z i don't believe there are someone who dont know.)
Or other reviews in tomsHardware, Techspot, Anandtech.

Are you sure Iris Plus G7 only consumed 12W? I see it consuming more power than RX Vega 10. (43W on G7, 37W on Vega 10).
Intel had to use DDR4-3733 to achieve this feat while AMD's capped at DDR-4 2400?
Most Vega 10 didn't achieve good 3dmark firestrike since OEMs not taking serious at AMD hardware by neutering them with crappy cooling or even single channel memory?

I am sure G7 only consume 12W, because I have two 1065G7 devices, Lenovo S940(new model) and YOGA C740. Just comparing the GT Cores power.
Your referring 47W is consist of CPU's and GPU's power. No reviews will tell you how many power does GTcores comsume. But as a researcher in CPUs and GPUs, I have test the efficiency between GPUs.
What's more, Vega 10 need 30W to reach 1.2GHz. marks 3100 in Firestrike, but the notebook won't show the graphics power(in AIDA64 or HWinfo), only CPU Package power. So you need a power tester and try many times. Most of notebooks won't reach this power, and scale it in about 15W, which causes that Vega 10 mark about 2100 in Firestrike.

Joschn

@WhengLi It would be nice to see some of your research.

I mean, we have this here, total power draw during 3DMark:
https://www.notebookcheck.com/fileadmin/Notebooks/Dell/Inspiron_15_5000_5585/metra3dm.png
https://www.notebookcheck.com/fileadmin/Notebooks/Dell/XPS_13_7390_2-in-1_Core_i7/metra3dm06.png

In Firestrike Graphics, the Inspiron (Vega 10) reaches 2999, the XPS (G7) 3144, so we can establish that the Inspiron is one of the (few) Ryzen models not severely restricted by thermal or power limits.

But the XPS draws about 6,5W more average total power in a GPU limited benchmark.(~36,5W vs ~43,1W).

I know this is only a rough comparison, but following your argument even this would be very implausible/an extreme outlier.

(I'd really love for notebookcheck to do more of those detailed power draw measurements with a standard set of benchmarks. :) )

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview