News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel doesn't think PCI Express 4.0 is a big deal and has the numbers to prove it

Started by Redaktion, June 12, 2019, 08:04:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Exomortem

Quote from: Ilnahro on June 12, 2019, 09:34:58
Is anyone else reminded of that famous misquote of Bill Gates:
"640K ought to be enough for anybody"

Yes, 144Hz 4K may not be limited by PCIe 3.0 in current(!) games but it will eventually become a bottleneck. Either due to bigger textures in existing games or insufficient GPU memory or because 4K 144Hz will soon be surpassed (think of VR applications, which would benefit from 2x 4K or higher). Not to mention multi-GPU systems which (certainly in the case of Intels extremely limited number of PCIe-lanes) would benefit from the additional bandwidth already.

Don't be fooled. Intel in trying to excuse their legacy equipment by confusing you with irrelevant information.

Actually I don't recall having any proof that Gates ever said that at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure they were pushing for more memory support the entire time. IIRC the original spec was only going to be 512K

RODNEY BUCHANAN

Then just one question... why is AM4 X570's PCIe 4.0 support not smoking Intel in gaming performance? Seems to do better in 3D and graphics applications mostly, but lags Intel in gaming. Just curious, if PCIe 4.0 is all that (right now), AMD should have stats showing double the FPS in every single game out there. Instead, AMD lags in games to Intel. All I am sayin'. I am probably going to build a new system with an AMD processor, to get great performance in both Metro and Premier Pro and be ready for the 4.0 spec future  ;D

Thomas D.

Well, Intel is reluctant to contribute to the greater good and focused only on maximizing income ... Read digitaltrends article : "If graphics cards don't need it, what's the point of PCIExpress 4?" that indirectly exposes Intels diversion on PCIe 4.0 .
In the interest of truth and common sense, I like to quote from the article :

"Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti and AMD's Radeon VII require masses of bandwidth to pump out the high frame rates and details that they're capable of. But even these cards don't need what PCIE 3.0 x16 slots offer. So, why is PCIE 4.0 a benefit? Because it means that gamers won't need to run their fastest graphics cards in the fastest configuration.

A 2080 Ti pushes the limits of what a PCIe 3.0 x8 port will allow, just – TechPowerUp's testing proves that. So, on a board with PCIe 3.0, running it in an x16 configuration makes the most sense. But that means the graphics card alone is hogging the all 16 lanes of PCIe."

Well, I'm not an expert on these matters, but has that article got some relevant important observations & foresighted thoughts or not ? ? ?

I'm a diehard Intel-user, but sometimes we must question if profitism or professionalism is on the companys minds ?

Sadly AMD seems to be the real leader now !   :(

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview