News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple silicon-based Macs and MacBooks are set to age faster than any Mac in recent history

Started by Redaktion, July 17, 2023, 19:18:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Apple tends to support its products for six or seven years. For the Apple silicon-based MacBook Air and Mac mini released in H2 2020, this means that almost half of their useful life is now behind them, and with no Windows compatibility, it remains to be seen if they will be of any use past H2 2026.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-silicon-based-Macs-and-MacBooks-are-set-to-age-faster-than-any-Mac-in-recent-history.734718.0.html

davidm

Could you qualify this statement about "bugs" on Linux? I don't think it's true.
ChromeOS is based on Linux, so these could be Chromebooks, probably including virtualization support,

@davidm

With Pop, I couldn't get past the installation screen. The damn thing would give me this "installation failed" message right after partitioning the drive and unpacking its files. Nobara wouldn't even boot off my pen drive. Deepin worked only to prove itself to be choke full of bugs less than an hour later, from the browser to the audio player.

That was it for me and I do not think I am the only one.

dimadamage

I have MacBook Air with M1 and to me its absolutely fine ... if you don't like MacBook M1 air you can buy a 150$ windows laptop and instal windows 10

Swizzy

Quote from: dimadamage on July 17, 2023, 20:34:11I have MacBook Air with M1 and to me its absolutely fine ... if you don't like MacBook M1 air you can buy a 150$ windows laptop and instal windows 10
Why wouldn't it be fine? Is it 2026 yet?

dimadamage

Quote from: Swizzy on July 17, 2023, 21:16:54
Quote from: dimadamage on July 17, 2023, 20:34:11I have MacBook Air with M1 and to me its absolutely fine ... if you don't like MacBook M1 air you can buy a 150$ windows laptop and instal windows 10
Why wouldn't it be fine? Is it 2026 yet?
if you want to use laptop from 2006 in 2026 ... good luck! use windows 10 until 2076!

dimadamage

I can't believe this article is still not deleted... some person advice to buy a old windows laptop because it can run windows 10 ...please ban me...I can't watch this... buy a ZTE laptop on gaunzhou CPU and play Mao dze dun OS 10

George

First lets see if the site will let me post....

Ahhh... the silly and rather stupid 'constant upgrade' syndrome. The notion that the hardware becomes useless because of lack of 'support' for the software that runs on it.

If we attempt to put computer buyers into two distinct groups there is the 'application specific' group and the 'anything and everything' group.

For both groups of buyers it is assumed that the hardware AND software that they installed on the computer does EVERYTHING that they require of it. Make sense?

Then comes the notion of 'security' along with the assumption that ALL computers are attached DIRECTLY TO THE INTERNET 24/7/365 (which surely is not the case at all) and it is because of this 'constant threat' that Operating System vendors as well as Software vendors are constantly patching holes in their OS and software offerings.

The STARK TRUTH is that for %80-95 of applications and uses for a computer don't involve being hooked up to a 'network' much less anything called the 'internet' and as such all the evolving 'threats' simply don't exist for those users and the applications that they are using!

Forgetting for the moment that for much of the world are living in the 'broadband age' which would place any computer device with a RJ45 jack or WIFI driver behind a HARDWARE FIREWALL only the devices and applications that require or use 'internet services' would need to be constantly updated.

Proudly typed on a 2013 era Mac with 2016 era OS but with 2013 era browser. :)

Klh

Quote from: 2002 on July 17, 2023, 20:03:56@davidm

With Pop, I couldn't get past the installation screen. The damn thing would give me this "installation failed" message right after partitioning the drive and unpacking its files. Nobara wouldn't even boot off my pen drive. Deepin worked only to prove itself to be choke full of bugs less than an hour later, from the browser to the audio player.

That was it for me and I do not think I am the only one.

Sorry you had that experience, but even though you are not the only one it's far from majority. Most people install Linux just fine. And if it was "full of bugs" you'd see those bugs every day since that's what's basically running the Internet.

Mfc

What a stupid clickbait article. "Set to age faster" - really?? Do you really think that an M1 Air circa Nov 2020 will be less capable of running ARM Windows 11 or Linux than the equivalent Core i3/i5 circa 2020 running x86 Windows 11 or Linux?? Do you really think the equivalent x86 Laptop from 2020 will last longer/work better than the Air in 2028-30? If so, what evidence of past performance would support this?
If you don't have anything solid to write an article about, then don't create some sensationalist headline and work your way backwards with feeble content to support it.

RobertJasiek

"M1 / M2 [...] unparalleled performance-per-Watt ratio."

Wrong. In machine learning, Nvidia RTX 4000 is about 5 times as efficient.

You can only make such a statement (for some M1 devices) if also requiring both silent operation and small form factor. (x64 and Nvidia can have silent operation in a passively cooled DIY desktop but not in a small form factor.)

kek

Quote from: George on July 17, 2023, 22:03:31First lets see if the site will let me post....

Ahhh... the silly and rather stupid 'constant upgrade' syndrome. The notion that the hardware becomes useless because of lack of 'support' for the software that runs on it.

If we attempt to put computer buyers into two distinct groups there is the 'application specific' group and the 'anything and everything' group.

For both groups of buyers it is assumed that the hardware AND software that they installed on the computer does EVERYTHING that they require of it. Make sense?

Then comes the notion of 'security' along with the assumption that ALL computers are attached DIRECTLY TO THE INTERNET 24/7/365 (which surely is not the case at all) and it is because of this 'constant threat' that Operating System vendors as well as Software vendors are constantly patching holes in their OS and software offerings.

The STARK TRUTH is that for %80-95 of applications and uses for a computer don't involve being hooked up to a 'network' much less anything called the 'internet' and as such all the evolving 'threats' simply don't exist for those users and the applications that they are using!

Forgetting for the moment that for much of the world are living in the 'broadband age' which would place any computer device with a RJ45 jack or WIFI driver behind a HARDWARE FIREWALL only the devices and applications that require or use 'internet services' would need to be constantly updated.

Proudly typed on a 2013 era Mac with 2016 era OS but with 2013 era browser. :)

I'm pretty sure your "2013 era browser" is actually a modern one. Internet is always moving, and even old EdgeHTML engine (before the Chromium Switch) can't load certain pages nowadays.

SleepyD

Jorge Riquelme

I think Apple Sillicon Macs will be supported for at least 10 years, like any Windows version.

Probably will not install newer macOS feature updates at some point, but it will still receive patchs and security updates.

Apple's big marketed advantage over other platforms is security. Abandoning expensive Mac users too early will cause several problems, and a bad name in the short term.

Eric

Really? The M series chips are all designed around the M1 and M2 chips. So you are telling me Apple will discontinue support for the M1 in another 5 years? Well my laptop would be rather impressive if I even got six years out of it for number 1, and number 2, the only reason would stop supporting it would be to make money by forcing it's user's to upgrade. If that were the case than next year all of M2 machines would also suffer the same fate. This article doesn't make sense to me.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview