News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Unaffordable GeForce RTX 3080 Ti and RTX 3090 cards become the new norm as shopper gets brutally shut out by cashier

Started by Redaktion, December 31, 2021, 05:44:42

Previous topic - Next topic

hfm

I was lucky enough to get a 3080 from the EVGA queue after a 13 month wait. $200 over MSRP and I guess maybe $100-150 over AIB prices since they are usually a little over MSRP. I'll consider that a good deal.

But otherwise, must be a slow news day, but I commented so I guess mission accomplished

In all honesty, gamers with shut up & take my money!!!111@@@ attitude are as much at fault as retail and cryptominers - if not more.

Professionals need beefy GPUs because - for them - time is money. Gamers don't explicitly need beefy GPUs, they can safely jump to midrange or even upper lowrange GPU at the cost of losing a bit of graphics fidelity, but their gaming experience won't be affected.

I can understand professionals paying ridiculous prices for high-end GPUs - for them, there is no alternative. Gamers, on the other hand, just forgotten what it is to be a customer, and became mindless consumers over the years.

It is reflected not only in scalper gpu prices, but also in dwindling quality of even AAA games - delivering buggy mess of a game on release has become the norm - and increasingly aggressive monetization tactics which go beyond ridiculous. Yet stupid sheeple happily eats it up, and begs for more!

Toots

honestly you can make do with a gtx 1000 series, even older. same with amd. You gotta ask yourself if there really is a need to upgrade. Right now with nvidia geforce experience supporting image scaling and amds Fsr, you can now game comfortable with higher quality settings with higher fps.

Jonah Hensley

Stopping scalpers is an unreachable pipe dream at this point. There is a multi million dollar industry in designing bots that bypass check out verifications for any retailer. Would be scalpers are paying upwards of 4 grand for temporary access to these bots which is a huge incentive for people to keep making them.
Graphics cards are particularly effected by this because of their high demand. They have many very lucrative uses. 3D graphic design, the ability to train very high power deep learning neural networks at high speeds, and yes mining crypto currency. Gaming is probably the most wasteful, and least important uses of these luxury cards, so expecting to pay MSRP for something like that is nothing but a pipe dream.
I got an RTX 30 card off Amazon last week, I also started looking for it, purchased it all in the last week. It was extremely easy to get. The catch is I paid the going rate for the card at about 1000 over MSRP. I could get them at MSRP if I invested in access to a 4000 dollar piece of software, but I only needed one so it would prove not to be cost effective.
This is the state of the market now, if you don't like it, well you're not gonna get a card. That's not likely to change for at least a couple years if not many more. My advice is that if you really want one of these, accept you're buying a luxury item and save up, and if you're smart, try to find a way to make something back on your investment. It's not hard, and is the reason these cards are so in demand because they in themselves are gold mines in the digital age.

CryptoKid

1. MSRP founders price is a loss leader. No way AIBs can sell GPUs at that price. If those words are too big for your brain stop talking. 2. Bought 15 GPUs in 15 mo at non scalper prices from AMD. Com, BB, B&H, Zotac (although their prices are nuts now), and EVGA. 3. Everyone forgets that Trump allowed for the trade tariff to expire that effects GPUs, so all AIBs had to raise their prices by 25% for import tax. (See #1 that Nvidia is selling FE cards as a loss leader). 4. If you don't understand what I just said, stfu and buy an Xbox because you're probably too stupid to build a decent rig anyway. 5. So sick of crybaby gamers that dont understand supply and demand, trade tariffs and the global supply chain.

Peter Gillespie

Quote from: davemolly on December 31, 2021, 10:31:05
There is a very simple solution. Simple supply and demand. It does not need to be the 'New normal' we just need to refuse to pay it.

Yes very simple. Just organise everyone to not by something to force the price down. But why stop at 50% off? If everyone waited a bit longer we could all buy it for 25% or 10 % wait long enough and everyone could get one for free.

Robert U

where is the body of this article? it makes mention of a problem when buying a card at a store. But only makes a half a** reference about it then basically lets everyone know that today, like the last 3 years video cards are hard to come by and overpriced.

Wake me up inside

Another shitty article from notebookcheck what a NOT surprise  ;D further proof the world ended in 2012 please write a good article for once

> Cryptokid

Oi, you really thought coining a few simple terms will add credibility to your baseless claims? You're full of s*** - and a complete idiot if you actually believe what you wrote.

@man_daddio

This article really has nothing interesting to read.
Retailers are raising prices because they can.
I know this because respectable companies are still selling cards at reasonable prices.
And to those who just want to inject politics into this Trump has nothing to do with GPU prices being as high as they are today. Especially, in taxation state European Union.
If anyone has a gripe with US policy Biden is President not Trump. He is running things to the ground. That won't help the US or trade policy.
Trump was trying to even things out before the virus. It was working. But he never got to finish unfortunately.
Now progressives took over and the market sucks again.
Remember these cheap prices we got used to were because of cheap labor around the world. Shall we feel good about that?
A lot of today's troubles are from pandemic issues. And scalper mentality from retailers & individuals.

Freeman

You literally added politics in the article all by yourself. You are an absolute idiot just like the trump man you idolize. STOP IT!!! Get a vaccine maybe that will help get the dumb out of you. See... I too can make absolutely no sense just like yourself. 🙃🤐🤭

AtotehZ

This will mostly blow over when the chip production catches up, but there's no guarantee that'll be before 2023.

AtotehZ

Quote from: @man_daddio on January 01, 2022, 03:32:27
Retailers are raising prices because they can.
Yes, and they can because of an actual shortage.

I know this because respectable companies are still selling cards at reasonable prices.
No, everyone has way inflated prices.

And to those who just want to inject politics into this Trump has nothing to do with GPU prices being as high as they are today. Especially, in taxation state European Union.
If anyone has a gripe with US policy Biden is President not Trump. He is running things to the ground. That won't help the US or trade policy.
Trump was trying to even things out before the virus. It was working. But he never got to finish unfortunately.
Now progressives took over and the market sucks again.
Irrelevant/incorrect. Politics never had an influence on this specific problem.

Remember these cheap prices we got used to were because of cheap labor around the world. Shall we feel good about that?
No, this is simply incorrect. Those people are still paid the same. The problem is that those creating the chips were asked to halt production, combined with people buying more hardware due to being indoors a whole lot, combined with shipping being difficult at the moment. They were asked to halt production because of an overlapping market misjudging their sales badly.

A lot of today's troubles are from pandemic issues. And scalper mentality from retailers & individuals.
Mostly yes, but retailers generally aren't too bad. They're just working with what they have, which is much less than they wanted.

The reason I know some things about the chip-makers is because my family company deals with them. They're not even remotely close to catching up with the demand.

Mmick

The problem is that lots of gamers pay whatever is asked for a GPU.  If people had sense and just let the cards from the scalpers away and just continued to play with their old good 10xx and 20xx series (and AMD equivalents), then nvidia and scalpers would have a bad day. As they continue to buy, then prices go up.

GPU and CPU production was in fact not that affected, prices went up because the above reasons (mining + scalpers), now as worldwide chips production is a little low and demand (home office, more time at home makes people buy new devices or update PCs and consoles, mining +++++) is much much higher than before.

In fact energy + GPU increased needs are due around 20% because increased home office and 80% because mining. If you stopped mining on Asia, Europe and America you would have more gpu and CPUs than the demand for the next couple of years...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview