News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

7.68 TB SanDisk Professional G-DRIVE PRO STUDIO external SSD now 43% off on Amazon

Started by Redaktion, August 22, 2023, 21:00:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

With speeds of up to 2,600 MB/s, the 7.68 TB SanDisk Professional G-DRIVE PRO STUDIO enterprise-class desktop external SSD has an impressive endurance of 11,000 TBW  and features dual Thunderbolt 3 ports that allow for easy daisy-chaining. Thanks to a 43% discount, it goes for US$999.99 instead of US$1,749.99.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/7-68-TB-SanDisk-Professional-G-DRIVE-PRO-STUDIO-external-SSD-now-43-off-on-Amazon.742236.0.html

reader play 1

haga, yeah, you may earn a few bucks from your affiliate link, but you loose readers who experience the "sans data effect" of SanDisk 🤣
forget it.

Codrut Nistor

Quote from: Robin01 on August 23, 2023, 11:28:40Check Google for "SanDisk mud"

I don't think a company should be judged that harsh just because it's being sued. Remember the Galaxy Note7 disaster? Samsung is now thriving. Speaking of SanDisk, I happen to own some of their products and they aren't that bad. You should also remember that this is a deal piece, not a review. We recommend products with good prices and, sadly, we don't have access to the failure rate/returns data.

NikoB

Yes, if you throw aside the backdrop of the WD scandal, now, a typical 1TB SSD costs around $65-70 with a 5-year warranty. 8TB = 65-70 x 8. This gives a price of 520-560. And plus the extra charge for the TB3 controller - another + 25-30%. Total $600 maximum.

The question is - what kind of merits does WD want another $ 400 from above?

Obviously it's overpriced by $400.

NikoB

Typo, well, I think you understood correctly - +25-30$ for TB3 interface.

And again, I want to repeat my old thought - the higher the capacity of the SSD, the more "cold" data will be stored on it. And this immediately translates the meaning of its purchase from the category "speed is important" to the category "data safety is important for at least 10 years" at temperatures up to 55C (like an HDD). But this is just not the case! Especially in the case of QLC chips.

Problems among buyers of SSD drives will only increase with increasing capacity due to their obvious drawback compared to HDD - they lose data much faster depending on the temperature of the NAND chips and storage time.

What is the point of having a 20TB SSD if, unlike a HDD, if it fails, even specialized services will not be able to get anything from there to the client due to the monstrous complexity of the translator? HDD can be at least defragmented and after that the data will lie exactly one after another, which leads to their successful recovery in special services even if all the electronics of the disk are lost.

The loss of the SSD translator is the end of your data if there was no backup. And why else do you need 8Tb+, right?

idy

Quote from: Codrut Nistor on August 24, 2023, 03:59:53
Quote from: Robin01 on August 23, 2023, 11:28:40Check Google for "SanDisk mud"

I don't think a company should be judged that harsh just because it's being sued. Remember the Galaxy Note7 disaster? Samsung is now thriving. Speaking of SanDisk, I happen to own some of their products and they aren't that bad. You should also remember that this is a deal piece, not a review. We recommend products with good prices and, sadly, we don't have access to the failure rate/returns data.

SanDisk is radio silence for months now.

Samsung issued a direct recall and owned up to it, and hired a third party auditor to figure out what went wrong and how to remedy.

Codrut Nistor

Quote from: NikoB on August 24, 2023, 21:45:26Yes, if you throw aside the backdrop of the WD scandal, now, a typical 1TB SSD costs around $65-70 with a 5-year warranty. 8TB = 65-70 x 8. This gives a price of 520-560. And plus the extra charge for the TB3 controller - another + 25-30%. Total $600 maximum.

The question is - what kind of merits does WD want another $ 400 from above?

Obviously it's overpriced by $400.
Throw in the 30-40% price premium paid for a piece of hardware that carries the "Professional" label and maybe...
P.S. A personal story of mine involves an enterprise 4 TB WD HDD that I got about a decade ago. Died after roughly 6 hours of use. Sent it back for replacement, I got my money back, couldn't get another. The whole batch/lineup was entirely messed up, nobody had them available anymore. Didn't research the story back then, I was just happy to get my cash back, got a Toshiba after a few weeks, I still have it today in my desktop PC, with over 70k hours of use.
>> I don't think that WD came out with any official apology back then.
P.S. 2 I got a SanDisk Extreme II in my desktop PC as well. Had the first one off Amazon, a disaster for many users, had my share of problems with it as well. Had it replaced in warranty, got this new one which is awesome. ... but with 25% life remaining, I am already considering an upgrade for the entire desktop PC.

NikoB

Quote from: Codrut Nistor on August 26, 2023, 08:23:28Throw in the 30-40% price premium paid for a piece of hardware that carries the "Professional" label and maybe...
If they call it "professional", then there should be:
1. Instant warranty replacement with no questions asked within a maximum of 3 days.
2. 10 year warranty.
4. The amount returned, at a minimum, for the loss of data due to the fault of the company is clearly indicated. As is the case with UPS.

In reality, this is the usual cheap junk with cheap TLC chips, which should cost 2 times cheaper than WD wants.
Unfortunately, there are enough fools with money on the planet to buy literally any kind of garbage - this is a paradise for scam manufacturers.

Codrut Nistor

I fully agree with you!!! And I would really like to get similar warranty for the ridiculously priced clothing or household products of "premium" brands that have nothing special about them, in the end. Not giving any names...

NikoB

A speech like yours always leads to a more extensive answer, why everything on the planet is the way it is (in general, I wrote about it many times already), and not otherwise:

When people have too much easy and extra money, they spend it much more imprudently than those that get real productive (the key here is within the overall usefulness for the progress of civilization) labor and where their value is fully realized. This is a global problem, inevitably leading to the collapse of modern civilization - on the planet, especially in developed countries, there are a lot of parasitic strata of the population. Moreover, their number only grows with time relative to the productive layer, especially when the entire country lives in debt. It is they who form the artificial demand for junk (from the point of view of balance) and "premium" goods, with prices inflated several times relative to their real cost of production and development. This happens for a while, until such a system collapses due to the accumulated overhang of debt.

When money is thrown from a helicopter to the population, debts taken voluntarily are forgiven (as, for example, to students and their brainless sponsoring parents for an education that no one needs in practice - to calm social anger or just get an advantage with dirty methods in the next "elections") and pay salaries that clearly do not correspond to their real productivity in the global labor assessment. Especially in "developed" countries. When money is simply "printed" (when banks have holes and need to be plugged), but only the elite, who are closer to the "printing press", receive them.

Debts cannot (as in the United States and most Western countries with a sharply negative budget-payment balance and foreign trade) accumulate indefinitely. As a result, the result of such a long-term policy will always be hyperinflation (which they have already received in the form of the first portion of a cold, sobering soul, but still with a fairly high temperature of "water"), followed by either an inevitable internal civil war or external aggression (beloved occupation of populist politicians and the brainless segments of the population who elect them) to channel the anger of deceived savers (for the most part, those who actually work productively in the framework of the global efficiency assessment, and not those who got money through parasitism or unproductive labor) and ruined segments of the population, in order for the kleptocratic elite (and the layer of lumpen that is beneficial to it, most often with leftist views, as the history of mankind shows, which it feeds) to remain in their own way and they are at the pinnacle of power.

Everyone wants to jump up at the expense of others, without even thinking about the justice of their aspirations and the general balance on the planet. Which ultimately leads to conflicts with those who rightly believe that they are being robbed and deceived by forcing them to make a deal by force.

Every time when inveterate populists rule, corrupt officials, thieves or outright bandits who do not care about designing a truly balanced society, everything comes to collapse. Then, the phase of "cleansing from parasites" always follows, and then everything goes to a new circle of gradual degradation of societies, when the sobering effect disappears with the emergence of new, more brainless generations that have forgotten the lessons of history.

As long as the planet can still provide the population with sufficient resources in their opinion.

Neenyah

My man's biggest regret in life is definitely not being born in Italy in early 20th century.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview