News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Game-changing digital film cartridge adds 20 MP micro 4/3 sensor to any 35 mm film camera

Started by Redaktion, October 10, 2023, 10:03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The I'm Back Film is a conversion kit that allows any 35 mm film camera to capture digital images, by placing a 20 MP Sony MFT sensor where the film would normally go, powered by a base unit that attaches to the bottom of the camera like a battery grip. In four days, the project will launch its Kickstarter campaign, where backers can order the complete kit.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Game-changing-digital-film-cartridge-adds-20-MP-micro-4-3-sensor-to-any-35-mm-film-camera.758328.0.html

julian.vdm

This would be way more appealing if cameras like the Panasonic GX85 and Olympus E-M10 M4 didn't exist... Those are both M4/3 cameras with autofocus and IBIS that have their own visual charm. A cheap converter will also give you access to the same lenses as the I'm Back sensor pack. What is the benefit, apart from cool (read: hipster) factor?

You could probably even get your hands on something like a Fujifilm X-S10 or an older X-T model that would blow that M4/3 sensor out of the water and have some film-like quality to it for about the same amount of money.

Aio

I feel like the concept gets bounced around every few years and then goes afk and ghosts everyone

Aio

Quote from: julian.vdm on October 10, 2023, 19:06:06This would be way more appealing if cameras like the Panasonic GX85 and Olympus E-M10 M4 didn't exist... Those are both M4/3 cameras with autofocus and IBIS that have their own visual charm. A cheap converter will also give you access to the same lenses as the I'm Back sensor pack. What is the benefit, apart from cool (read: hipster) factor?

You could probably even get your hands on something like a Fujifilm X-S10 or an older X-T model that would blow that M4/3 sensor out of the water and have some film-like quality to it for about the same amount of money.

Tho think about this as well, the GX products that came after it were actually worse cuase the GX85 was actually better than the GX9 in terms of function and features and the G100 was absolutely abysmal of a launch. And buying Oly 2023 is still in question because we dont know what to expect of the brand going into the future post acquisition. Its still a great camera, but smol format M43 hasnt been a stable market for a while. Really hoping Pana make a small format M43 again w/ their new PDAF tech

julian.vdm

Tho think about this as well, the GX products that came after it were actually worse cuase the GX85 was actually better than the GX9 in terms of function and features and the G100 was absolutely abysmal of a launch. And buying Oly 2023 is still in question because we dont know what to expect of the brand going into the future post acquisition. Its still a great camera, but smol format M43 hasnt been a stable market for a while. Really hoping Pana make a small format M43 again w/ their new PDAF tech
[/quote]

Lol, I think Panasonic went through a time where it made its cameras too good (except for AF, of course) and made subsequent launches a little anti-climactic. The GX85 is legendary for a reason. And yeah, Olympus is still a bit of a sketchy buy, but the existing cameras are likely out of warranty already and they still produce the same images they did when they were new. But yeah, a lack of support from the company could mean no spares available and certainly no firmware updates. At any rate, US$700+ for a hardware conversion kit seems steep, especially since it doesn't give you any AF and you're still stuck with the bulk of the film camera, losing half of the advantage of the M4/3 format. I'd love to convert my old Nikon EL-2, but I don't think I would spend more than US$200 on a conversion, honestly.

Olympus Zeus

This sort of thing was a game-changer in the late 90s. Now we have great digital cameras and there is no use for this kind of chunky awkward gimmick.

Peter Stemkowski

Meh. If it was full frame it would be a game changer - as is, not so much. I'm not interested in shooting 4/3 with my Nikon FE. A flat no.

RobinMC

I have been hoping for this product for years, but,as described, it is still bulky & has a prototype feel. To make me buy one it would need be contained inside the film cartridge & be 50 MP.I realize that this is easy to say but difficult to execute. I will hang onto my OM2 & Trip in the hope that one day i may be able to use them again. The problem is that the goalposts will continue moving as phones keep improving. In a few years time my requirements will have expanded.I am afraid that the project will find it difficult to outpace the huge phone & camera makers. I hope i am just being pessimistic.

Scott free

It sold out initial run, that will be it, Swiss will but and some Japanese, where 20% still own a 35mm. Rest of world insane silly price, maybe reviewers will savage it on release too, not for me. A lot of old 35mm cameras are very tired, light seals deteriorated,  shutters shot, great idea, good gimmick if $150

FF Flunkie

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview