News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

10th gen 'Ice Lake' Core i7-1065G7 Geekbench score reaffirms Intel's hegemony in laptops, offers single-core performance on par with an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Started by Redaktion, July 22, 2019, 15:19:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A Geekbench score of the Intel Core i7-1065G7 'Ice Lake' running on the HP Spectre x360 convertible laptop is now available and seems to indicate very strong single-core performance that can rival processors much higher TDP such as the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X. Intel's 10nm could offer a significant advantage over AMD at least in the laptop segment with even more improved IPCs.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/10th-gen-Ice-Lake-Core-i7-1065G7-Geekbench-score-reaffirms-Intel-s-hegemony-in-laptops-offers-single-core-performance-on-par-with-an-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X.427965.0.html

fasddsadasdas

Told you this on last passmark leak. This little CPU scores like a 7700K (4.5Ghz, while running at 3.8Ghz). This is the 18% IPC increase Intel was talking about. Too bad they have issues with 10nm.

sridhar kondoji

You are comparing Desktop chips from AMD with Laptop chips from intel. Can't you wait until AMD releases APUs targetted for laptops?

Vaidyanathan

Quote from: sridhar kondoji on July 22, 2019, 15:54:46
You are comparing Desktop chips from AMD with Laptop chips from intel. Can't you wait until AMD releases APUs targetted for laptops?
Do you really think Zen 2 APUs would be able to take on Intel? Desktop, yes. AMD has a winner. Laptops, I think not yet.

Vaidyanathan

Quote from: fasddsadasdas on July 22, 2019, 15:32:15
Told you this on last passmark leak. This little CPU scores like a 7700K (4.5Ghz, while running at 3.8Ghz). This is the 18% IPC increase Intel was talking about. Too bad they have issues with 10nm.
Issues were mostly because they were trying to outwit Moore's law (as discussed in yesterday's article). 10nm desktop CPUs would be interesting at this rate.

Eastman

It's a silly article with a click bait subject line. We always knew the Intel has had better single core performance even with laptop chips. Even the 8950hk chips performs better than all ryzen CPU in single core benchmark. So it's nothing new... But it's not the only reason people buy a 3900X.

S.Yu

Matteo Mazzone

So, are we just going to ignore that the Apple A12x has a higher multi-core score than this chip? Or that the "105W" 3900x basically has 3x the multicore score?

cosine

Interestingly, compared to my i7-8650, the biggest gain is the memory score, which goes to 5819.

mikhail

Hello guys, the article FORGOTTEN to mension about multi-thread performance. Who uses these days single? So, AMD 3 times more !!!

Fatfaldog

I bet this result achieved using Turbo boost. So, CPU work with real TDP around 35-40 watt(why everybody forget about this?) . Like my 8650U CPU.
15 watt TDP only for base clock.

AMD CPU real tdp 105 watt. So, if we remove 2/3 amd cores we can have around 105/3=35 TDP on quad core chip... And comparable multithread and single thread performance and perfomance per watt.

A

@mikhail - it isn't who uses single core, it is more of the fact that most programming languages were not created with multicore/multithread in mind.

When multithread was added to programming languages, many implementations have been messy patches. Add to the fact that most programmers learn to write code for single thread (because that was how it was always done). And things get complicated...

Add to the fact that the webbrowser is mostly single thread and that is why we've been stuck dependent on single thread.

The bright side is that things are improving on both the programming space and the browser space. But it'll still take some time for things to sink in.

heffeque

hfm

Wow OK. I was going to buy a Ryzen 3900X, but I guess I better wait for this chip instead. /s

Comparison is apples and oranges. Plus why not just say it's as fast as an i7-8700K in single core instead?

And also, the TDP comparison is flawed. How much power is the 3900X drawing when stressing single core? Definitely nowhere near 105W.

Wout

Quote from: Matteo Mazzone on July 22, 2019, 18:03:51
So, are we just going to ignore that the Apple A12x has a higher multi-core score than this chip? Or that the "105W" 3900x basically has 3x the multicore score?

Exactly - the scores for A12X are 5053/18258 at presumably a fraction of the TDP. I bet Apple is going to release an ARM macbook next year - Intel can't compete.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview