News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Why everyone needs a fast internet connection

Started by Redaktion, July 06, 2019, 20:52:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Over the last decade, the speed of internet connections — with a focus on mobile internet and fixed optical fiber connections — available everywhere increased at a tremendous rate. In this article, we take a quick look at the history of this field, focusing on the past, present, and future use cases that benefit from a fast connection.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Why-everyone-needs-a-fast-internet-connection.426883.0.html

Jgfgfgf

The internet and or devices cant even use or 150 Megabits. Everyithing is around 20-50. Its only for these who haw high value job. Others perhaps are dying in agony whitout internet 2-3 days.

Codrut Nistor

Think about downloading games from Steam or other digital distribution platforms at 250 Mbps or more. Maybe you haven't done it, but I did and a fast connection is definitely great in this case. Or when loading a 1080p or 4K video stream.

Happy

Quote from: Jgfgfgf on July 07, 2019, 12:58:47
The internet and or devices cant even use or 150 Megabits. Everyithing is around 20-50. Its only for these who haw high value job. Others perhaps are dying in agony whitout internet 2-3 days.

What?
I can regularly download at my max connection speed, granted that my speed is only 80Mbps because that's all my exchange can handle at the moment but I know others that can easily max their 200Mbps connections.
Here's the thing though, you can't do that over a bad router with just "fast" ethernet and you will almost certainly struggle over wi-fi as well no matter how fast the wi-fi states because there are too many variables to mess up the connection and this is the same with mobile(4G and 5G) internet.

TLDR: good router connected to PC with a wire + good landline ISP = excellent connection speed.

Dice

I don't get how people even notice a difference above 1Mb/s or so. How much faster than "instantaneous" can load times be?
What does it matter how quickly your video loads as long as the loading speed is faster than the speed it plays at? *remembers waiting for hours for a youtube video to load so I could watch it* Now I click it and it starts playing. And I "only" have like 3Mb/s on my connection.
I guess if that game streaming takes off, that could need more? But don't even good connections lag at times? I'm not convinced of that kind of service (yet?).

Codrut Nistor

Sometimes more than 1 Mbps "or so" also means lower latency, so while the difference from 1 Mbps to 300 Mbps might not be much when loading a page that only contains 125 Kb of data, a difference from half a second to 40-50 ms in latency would be quite noticeable.

https://ittutorials.net/network/performance/the-difference-between-bandwidth-and-latency/

Obviously, I am not even talking about loading YouTube videos or a full Facebook page...

jeremy

Quote from: Codrut Nistor on July 08, 2019, 15:58:29
Sometimes more than 1 Mbps "or so" also means lower latency, so while the difference from 1 Mbps to 300 Mbps might not be much when loading a page that only contains 125 Kb of data, a difference from half a second to 40-50 ms in latency would be quite noticeable.

[edit: link snip, since I cannot post links, even if it's in this person's quote]

Obviously, I am not even talking about loading YouTube videos or a full Facebook page...

Especially when basic, sub 1MB pages are ever-more rare nowadays. Even the OP article transferred over 1MB, and it decompressed to over 2MB.

So on that 1Mbps connection, it would take at least 8 seconds to load a page, compared to <1s on my current ~60Mbps setup. This isn't even accounting for overhead (packet header, losses, encoding, etc), which will further chip away at bandwidth.

Load the frontpage of CNN? ~3MB transferred as of 8JUL19. 24 seconds on that 1Mbps connection (at least 24 seconds in best case scenarios. >24 seconds in reality). Yahoo got over 12MB before I closed the tab. That's with adblock, btw. Would be over 1.5 minutes just to load Yahoo...

Of course, we could blame the bloat of modern webpages, but in the end, 1Mbps is a noticeable bandwidth restriction, and blaming webpages still won't resolve the issue of massive webpages (that's after Ublock Origin has done its work, w.r.t. CNN and Yahoo).

Codrut Nistor

Thank you very much for going deeper into the page size topic. I think that someone on a 1 Mbps connection would be smart enough to disable automatic loading of images and media content in the browser, lol. ;)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview