News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Razer may want to consider a recall for their Blade and Blade pro laptop chargers

Started by Redaktion, June 26, 2019, 10:51:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

We recently noted in our 2019 Razer Blade Pro review that the AC adapter hit the hottest temperature we've yet to measure on a gaming notebook, 67C. Based on historical evidence from Razer's 2017-2018 chargers melting or catching fire and the fact that the 2019 Razer Blade Pro's adapter is even hotter, I believe it may be prudent for the Singapore-based company to consider a recall — at least perhaps for adapters from their 2017-2018 Blade and Blade Pro systems.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer-may-want-to-consider-a-recall-for-their-Blade-and-Blade-pro-laptop-chargers.426448.0.html

Astar

I think it is irresponsible to make allegations about the safety (or lack thereof) based on just a subjective personal view.

You are quoting all sorts of irrelevant data & reports about battery recalls and other unrelated problems. Batteries are totally irrelevant and unrelated to power adapter bricks.

You have no evidence that this Razer power adapter brick in question is unsafe and yet you call for product recalls?!? Really? Just based on a temperature measurement.

From what I know such power bricks require certification from the authorities - usually in the form of a safety mark sticker. True, long term durability and degradation is something the authorities cannot certify. However, that is not something for a tech blogger to insinuate.

Only Razer or ODM or subcontractor partner contract manufacturing for them can tell us how they have designed/manufactured the power bricks. It could well be that they have higher tolerances due to higher quality components, IC boards, resistors, capacitors etc. After all it is not uncommon for computer components to run hot. CPUs & GPUs have been known to go to 90 degrees celsius or higher.

Even if you are right, the right discourse is to (1) ask for clarifications from Razer; or (2) send it to independent 3rd party labs for independent testing; or (3) even faster/better, a tear down of the power adapter brick by Notebookchat.com or iFixit to see what components went into its manufacture. Option (3), which you did not even bother to do, would at least give you some basis to say that for example "based on the same generic components and design which are also used on other adapters operating at much lower temperatures, there may be an issue..."

Anything less and you are risking a defamation lawsuit from Razer for causing alarm to Razer consumers and tarnishing their reputation by alleging danger.

S.Yu

If this really is an issue then I'll just stick two aluminum cooling fins to the adapter, it should be fine.

JTrevail

My 2015 had power brick issues. Razer doesn't care that the faulty brick killed my Blade.

Kelvin

Quote from: Astar on June 26, 2019, 11:51:05
I think it is irresponsible to make allegations about the safety (or lack thereof) based on just a subjective personal view.

You are quoting all sorts of irrelevant data & reports about battery recalls and other unrelated problems. Batteries are totally irrelevant and unrelated to power adapter bricks.
Charging the battery and running the system at the same time will straing your power supply. This is physics. Some notebook manufacturers do not integrate decent power delivery circuits and battery charging cut-off mechanisms, this is a known fact.

You have no evidence that this Razer power adapter brick in question is unsafe and yet you call for product recalls?!? Really? Just based on a temperature measurement.
So, this particular power supply only runs hot enough for 1st degree burns. It's safe? And the 13 redditors are just conspiring against Razer? And just happen to be showing off broken Razer power supplies, almost at the exact same spot?

From what I know such power bricks require certification from the authorities - usually in the form of a safety mark sticker. True, long term durability and degradation is something the authorities cannot certify. However, that is not something for a tech blogger to insinuate.
They are certified for long term durability as well, it's called "MTBF" (Mean time between failure), and degradation can be certified as well, if the manufacturer chooses to. Certifications like "80Plus" are usually indications for manufacturer commitments.

Only Razer or ODM or subcontractor partner contract manufacturing for them can tell us how they have designed/manufactured the power bricks. It could well be that they have higher tolerances due to higher quality components, IC boards, resistors, capacitors etc. After all it is not uncommon for computer components to run hot. CPUs & GPUs have been known to go to 90 degrees celsius or higher.
And yet, the rugged Dell notebook power supplies aren't rated for over 55ºC. Neither are the enterprise servers (50ºC to 65ºC, the ones i worked with) and network devices (usually 50 to 55ºC for these). Ask your physics teacher why, it's science.

Even if you are right, the right discourse is to (1) ask for clarifications from Razer; or (2) send it to independent 3rd party labs for independent testing; or (3) even faster/better, a tear down of the power adapter brick by Notebookchat.com or iFixit to see what components went into its manufacture. Option (3), which you did not even bother to do, would at least give you some basis to say that for example "based on the same generic components and design which are also used on other adapters operating at much lower temperatures, there may be an issue..."
So... Assumptions can't be made publicly? Tell the president of US, China, and any politicians, really.

Anything less and you are risking a defamation lawsuit from Razer for causing alarm to Razer consumers and tarnishing their reputation by alleging danger.
Razer could, except that would be devastating for them. Crushing one of the most reputable review sites, for a product that has very limited sales.

I really think you should research what you say before you click the comment button.

Astar

Quote from: Kelvin on June 28, 2019, 16:01:24

Charging the battery and running the system at the same time will straing your power supply. This is physics. Some notebook manufacturers do not integrate decent power delivery circuits and battery charging cut-off mechanisms, this is a known fact.

--> Are you stupid or what? All laptops are meant to be fully capable of charging the battery and powering the system at the same time. What proof do you have that the Razer is unable to do so? What the hell are you talking about? What physics? This is just simple electronics. Do you need to be a nuclear physicist to understand this article and my point about NO PROOF?!?!

This is an article making wild allegations about the TEMPERATURE of the charging brick!

If you have nothing useful to add, shut up!
What "Some notebook manufacturers do not integrate decent power delivery circuits and battery charging cut-off mechanisms, this is a known fact."
- WHAT PROOF DO YOU HAVE that Razer has integrated something unsafe? Did you even understand what this article is? Did you even manage to understand what I am pointing out?

You and the writer of this article are making WILD ACCUSATIONS WITH NO PROOF WHATSOEVER!

So, this particular power supply only runs hot enough for 1st degree burns. It's safe? And the 13 redditors are just conspiring against Razer? And just happen to be showing off broken Razer power supplies, almost at the exact same spot?

-->> Again, are you too dumb to read? Where is the proof that this PARTICULAR Razer adapter has broken down? If there were others from previous MODELS and YEARS that broke down, that's a totally unrelated issue.

What is wrong with THIS LATEST MODEL? WHAT PROOF DO YOU HAVE?!?!

What 1st degree burns has it caused you? Were you dumb enough to grab it for hours? Did you place it on your balls for hours to cause burns? What medical proof do you have that it has burned anybody?

They are certified for long term durability as well, it's called "MTBF" (Mean time between failure), and degradation can be certified as well, if the manufacturer chooses to. Certifications like "80Plus" are usually indications for manufacturer commitments.

--->> Again what drivel are you spewing? I only listed some of the certifications and tests down. I don't have time to educate you on everything that is tested. Every country may test differently anyway. No, MTBF is not something tested for power bricks. That's why they usually do not have warranty on them! Only products like HDDs and stuff with moving parts regularly have MTBFs dumb dumb!

Regardless, you just contradicted yourself by accepting that all such devices must be certified safe for use, you idiot! WHERE IS YOUR PROOF that the Razer adapter brick is unsafe? That is the point, you clown!

And yet, the rugged Dell notebook power supplies aren't rated for over 55ºC. Neither are the enterprise servers (50ºC to 65ºC, the ones i worked with) and network devices (usually 50 to 55ºC for these). Ask your physics teacher why, it's science.

-->> Again, what is your freaking point, you idiot?!?! So Dell power supplies are not rated for over 55 degrees celsius. SO??? What makes you think the Razer ones can't? Where is your proof?

Just because you are quoting some other devices that can't, it doesn't meant that Razer can't.

Are you so stupid you need to ask your physics teacher everything? Do you even understand the issues?

Where is your proof that something is unsafe? You don't just quote irrelevant and circumstantial things about OTHER BRANDS to make stupid insinuations. Get the proof or else shut up!

So... Assumptions can't be made publicly? Tell the president of US, China, and any politicians, really.

--->> Again, how stupid can you be? Idiots like you jut make wild accusations. Why don't you just continue voting for Trump and shut the hell up.

The whole point is you don't make defamatory claims against another company with no proof of any unsafe quality issues.

Again you just contradicted yourself and CONFIRMED your stupidity by admitting that you are just making wild ASSUMPTIONS!

Razer could, except that would be devastating for them. Crushing one of the most reputable review sites, for a product that has very limited sales.

I really think you should research what you say before you click the comment button.

-->> WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Razer can make statements are they can choose not to them. It is up to them. None of your business.

But if you want to comment anything or make any wild assumptions and accusations like the author of the article ---> SHOW PROOF FIRST!

If you are stupid and can't argue anything logically with reason and with proof, SHUT UP!

Sjojanvic

Actually, quite a few laptops can't charge while gaming with their power adapters. Off of the top of my head - some Macbook Pros (Apple admitted as much), Surface Book 2 (well-known), some Lenovo Legion gaming laptops, some Alienware laptops, some Acer Helios...  It is actually extremely common today, because the power adapters are usually undersized relative to the full power requirement of the device. You can google it yourself to see all sorts of known laptops with this "issue".

Sjojanvic

Quote from: Sjojanvic on June 29, 2019, 13:27:03
Actually, quite a few laptops can't charge while gaming with their power adapters. Off of the top of my head - some Macbook Pros (Apple admitted as much), Surface Book 2 (well-known), some Lenovo Legion gaming laptops, some Alienware laptops, some Acer Helios...  It is actually extremely common today, because the power adapters are usually undersized relative to the full power requirement of the device. You can google it yourself to see all sorts of known laptops with this "issue".

And the battery actually drains while you game with the adapter plugged in. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the Razer laptops also exhibited this symptom. My MSI did and it was not advertised clearly.

Douglas Black

There are none so blind as those who will not see. I wouldn't waste more of your time ;)

Kaizer Allen

I really don't get I really don't get why people consider this as bad. You literally are reporting something that people can use to consider whether they're getting the laptop or not, yet here we are, the evangelists are attacking you.

Affected customer

My razer blade 15 Advanced that is less than a month old (bought at razer.com and delivered to the USA), but the power adapter already died. I didn't even play games or stress the system in any other way. It just died suddenly. The LED on the power brick does not go on. There is something wrong/fragile about the 230w power adapter. I contact Razer Support and am waiting to hear back.

Andrea

Given the above, I and many others are wondering what is the best alternative in terms of size and, more important, weight, to the heinous 165W adapter?

yolanda eshkabar

Quote from: Astar on June 28, 2019, 16:45:42

--> Are you stupid or what? All laptops are meant to be fully capable of charging the battery and powering the system at the same time. What proof do you have that the Razer is unable to do so? What the hell are you talking about? What physics? This is just simple electronics. Do you need to be a nuclear physicist to understand this article and my point about NO PROOF?!?!

This is an article making wild allegations about the TEMPERATURE of the charging brick!

If you have nothing useful to add, shut up!
What "Some notebook manufacturers do not integrate decent power delivery circuits and battery charging cut-off mechanisms, this is a known fact."
- WHAT PROOF DO YOU HAVE that Razer has integrated something unsafe? Did you even understand what this article is? Did you even manage to understand what I am pointing out?

You and the writer of this article are making WILD ACCUSATIONS WITH NO PROOF WHATSOEVER!

-->> Again, are you too dumb to read? Where is the proof that this PARTICULAR Razer adapter has broken down? If there were others from previous MODELS and YEARS that broke down, that's a totally unrelated issue.

What is wrong with THIS LATEST MODEL? WHAT PROOF DO YOU HAVE?!?!

What 1st degree burns has it caused you? Were you dumb enough to grab it for hours? Did you place it on your balls for hours to cause burns? What medical proof do you have that it has burned anybody?

--->> Again what drivel are you spewing? I only listed some of the certifications and tests down. I don't have time to educate you on everything that is tested. Every country may test differently anyway. No, MTBF is not something tested for power bricks. That's why they usually do not have warranty on them! Only products like HDDs and stuff with moving parts regularly have MTBFs dumb dumb!

Regardless, you just contradicted yourself by accepting that all such devices must be certified safe for use, you idiot! WHERE IS YOUR PROOF that the Razer adapter brick is unsafe? That is the point, you clown!

-->> Again, what is your freaking point, you idiot?!?! So Dell power supplies are not rated for over 55 degrees celsius. SO??? What makes you think the Razer ones can't? Where is your proof?

Just because you are quoting some other devices that can't, it doesn't meant that Razer can't.

Are you so stupid you need to ask your physics teacher everything? Do you even understand the issues?

Where is your proof that something is unsafe? You don't just quote irrelevant and circumstantial things about OTHER BRANDS to make stupid insinuations. Get the proof or else shut up!

--->> Again, how stupid can you be? Idiots like you jut make wild accusations. Why don't you just continue voting for Trump and shut the hell up.

The whole point is you don't make defamatory claims against another company with no proof of any unsafe quality issues.

Again you just contradicted yourself and CONFIRMED your stupidity by admitting that you are just making wild ASSUMPTIONS!

-->> WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Razer can make statements are they can choose not to them. It is up to them. None of your business.

But if you want to comment anything or make any wild assumptions and accusations like the author of the article ---> SHOW PROOF FIRST!

If you are stupid and can't argue anything logically with reason and with proof, SHUT UP!

Jesus I have never seen such a meltdown
what a driveling moron
Writes like a 10 year old and reasons like one too. pathetic

SuperFlyMinai

My 230w adapter for my blade 15 advanced (mid 2019 model) just crapped out on me. It was extremely warm even after no longer working/in use and when I received my laptop in June the adapter it came with was faulty as well. Razer did not do anything originally and I had to spend 150$ on their website buying it's replacement which now also is faulty and I emailed them with almost no hope of having anything resolved.

Glad to see this article. Razer makes fantastic laptops WHEN you can turn them on and use them that is

Up_Shift

Razers Power adapter issues have to be in the 100's if not more. I've gone through two power adapters from Razer in two years. Each lasting about a year before literally starting to meltdown.

May-2017:     Purchase Razer Blade 14'' 2016 (GTX 1060)
Product No:   RZ09-01952E73
Power Adapter Model No:    RC30-0165    (165 W)

June-2018:     Power adapter starts to omit a burning chemical smell, brick is too hot to pick up and the cord is hot coming from the brick up about 10". I quickly move to unplug the power adapter and see sparks comming from the L connector. About two months before the meltdown the L connector was starting to fray (no wires exposed) and the rubber section had become soft from increasing temps.

I contacted Razer support but while waiting for a couple days for their response I went ahead and purchased a new power adapter. I own my own business and use this laptop for work so I don't have much time to wait just for Razer to say it's outside the warranty period or that it must have been user error as I've already read all about Razers abnormally bad customer support.

June-2019:      Battery in the laptop starts to bulge (expand from heat) which causes the trackpad to rise slightly above the laptop chassis.

July-2019:       The second power adapter does the same thing.

It's important to note that I don't really game and probably underutilize the laptop more than most Razer customers. No overclocking and I use one of the best laptop cooling pads I could find. I Also babied the crap out of the second power adapter. Kind of like when your kid brings home an egg to take care of for a school project that cant break. Additionally, Razer has had the 165W power adapter listed on their site but out of stock for years so not sure what they expect their customers to do with their $2K+ laptops that keep burning through chargers.

It's all a little frustrating, thank you for trying to bring light to the ongoing situation, Razer will continue to sweep under the rug until enough people speak out.

Best,

Shift

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview