News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell doubles down on justifying XPS 15 9570 problems

Started by Redaktion, June 17, 2019, 20:14:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The company is still burying its heads in the sand over why some XPS 15 9570 laptops are getting hot and experiencing high battery drain when asleep. The company has added having an outdated BIOS and drivers along with wake on Wi-Fi enabled to the reasons that could cause the behaviour but without recognising that forcing people to use Modern Standby could be the cause. Well done, Dell.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-doubles-down-on-justifying-XPS-15-9570-problems.423984.0.html

splus

What Dell says has NOTHING to do with the standby problem!
My XPS 15 9570 is in the disconnected standby mode (as is everyone else's because there is no way to change that state), but the laptop still has standby issues.

Sometimes it takes a long time to actually go into standby, fans keep running, and sometimes the laptop wakes up from standby for no reason. Checking the powercfg /sleepstudy shows the keyboard as the reason for laptop waking up, but that makes no sense because the lid is closed and the laptop isn't moving.

Dell could simply start investigating the problem from there and check their BIOS keyboard management - something in BIOS is triggering the keyboard call, which then wrongly sends Windows the message to wake up the laptop.

Ted Mingolla

I have a Dell XPS 13 that has swollen from a bad battery. It probably is a fire hazard as the swollen battery has completely deformed the keyboard and track pad. I was told by Dell that I should have purchased the extended warranty and that they can do nothing for me. What happened to customer support...?

RyzenCore

STOP USING DELL

f*** THEM, THEY DID THIS TO ME ON AN 3000 USD ALIENWARE, AND I SAID f*** YOU DELL!!!

RyzenCore

they only care about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

GREADY FICKING TECH COMPANIES INTEL IS ON THAT LIST... now is AMD Radeon.. f*** EM ALL and NVIDIA IM DONE WITH COMPUTERS

Sem

Sorry Dell but Modern Standby is broken by design by Microsoft.
Disconnecting wifi may or may not help.
Also in Disconnected standby, Windows OS or drivers or modern apps may choose to do something they deem important, either preventing the laptop from entering the lowest power DRIPS state, or causing the laptop to leave it. Which the user may not want, for the sake of the battery power drain, or overheating while in bag or such (very bad for batteries which are prone to swelling etc).
Debugging (Sleepstudy) in involved for average users, and eventually they have no option to easily disable anything, except for uninstalling potentially discovered "offending" apps or drivers (unless system).
This is originally not Dell's fault, but Dell should at least allow one to switch back to S3 in BIOS until Microsoft fixes S0 so that it is at least as good as S3 in aspects of battery drain and bag-safety, the way Lenovo did.
There is no point in the new CS allowing the devices to wake 2 sec quicker, if one actually has to use Hibernate instead, which happens to take half a minute more!!!

Edric

This has been a problem from 2015 of first new xps 13 design. I've had it for 4 years and changed to lg gram. No regret! I'm surprised dell has still not figured nor cared about this huge problem. Well, private company problem.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview