News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

OLED boom may mean LED bust for panel manufacturers

Started by Redaktion, June 05, 2019, 07:49:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

As 2019 sees the more widespread adoption of OLED panels in notebook and other portable technology, reports from Digitimes suggests that some traditional LED panel manufacturers in China may be in trouble.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/OLED-boom-may-mean-LED-bust-for-panel-manufacturers.423067.0.html

S.Yu

Indeed sectors in the Chinese economy rise and fall with the subsidies.

Douglas Black

Addendum:

From a geopolitical standpoint (and I didn't think of this when writing the article), I am quite interested in the fact that the Chinese government is cutting electronics manufacturing subsidies and moving them towards R&D. This suggests to me that this is part of a larger plan to rely less on producing parts for foreign companies and towards becoming a regional technology powerhouse that doesn't need to be concerned about sanctions or warnings from western intelligence (5 Eyes).

The question is, for me, is China capable of producing *new* and valuable electronics technologies beyond simply copying/reverse engineering other companies' intellectual property? I don't think so, unless they can successfully attract a lot of overseas talent. I know Huawei is hiring HUGE amounts of Chinese STEM grad/pg students lately, but I can't think of foreigners willing to go work there.

S.Yu

Quote from: Douglas Black on June 06, 2019, 03:06:42
Addendum:

From a geopolitical standpoint (and I didn't think of this when writing the article), I am quite interested in the fact that the Chinese government is cutting electronics manufacturing subsidies and moving them towards R&D. This suggests to me that this is part of a larger plan to rely less on producing parts for foreign companies and towards becoming a regional technology powerhouse that doesn't need to be concerned about sanctions or warnings from western intelligence (5 Eyes).

The question is, for me, is China capable of producing *new* and valuable electronics technologies beyond simply copying/reverse engineering other companies' intellectual property? I don't think so, unless they can successfully attract a lot of overseas talent. I know Huawei is hiring HUGE amounts of Chinese STEM grad/pg students lately, but I can't think of foreigners willing to go work there.

Huawei previously invested heavily in major universities in the west, good thing much of that's now stopped by US intervention.

Financially they're benefitting from government subsidies and the world's largest market biased heavily towards them from government control and propaganda, technologically they use that money to siphon technology from other countries, dirty play indeed.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview