News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus expresses concerns in using OLED displays on gaming laptops

Started by Redaktion, May 31, 2019, 12:51:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Asus showed off a gaming demo on two Zephyrus S GX502 laptops — one of them had a 4K 120Hz IPS display while the other had a 4K OLED panel. The company is looking forward to incorporate OLED displays in its gaming laptop lineup but wants to first address of some of the issues that plague OLED screens including screen burn-in, life-span, and long-term color accuracy.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-expresses-concerns-in-using-OLED-displays-on-gaming-laptops.422701.0.html

DF

It's an honest concern for many, however we have a few laptops, including the Alienware 13 that have had OLED and have been in users hands for a few years now.  In fact some of those devices, now a few years old, are STILL better looking and preferred for use over newer machines just because of those OLED panels.

So I agree with Asus, there are things we need to "see" how they pan out over a few years to come.  However, what we have seen so far is very positive.  So wait and see if you are worried, but I think we're likely to be pretty satisfied over time.  Remember it's not like laptop LCD's are exactly the picture of color accuracy now.  They have weak contrast ratio's in many cases and the color palette (let alone HDR) they can reproduce is often limited.  Some panels do better in those areas, but then they cost almost as much as OLED.  Color changing over time happens to LCD's too, particularly in high gamut LCD's where the backlight has been enhanced to display more spectrum.  So let's see.  But in the meantime you'll get far greater response time in most cases and contrast ratios that your eyes will thank you for.

Vaidyanathan

Quote from: DF on May 31, 2019, 13:42:10
It's an honest concern for many, however we have a few laptops, including the Alienware 13 that have had OLED and have been in users hands for a few years now.  In fact some of those devices, now a few years old, are STILL better looking and preferred for use over newer machines just because of those OLED panels.

So I agree with Asus, there are things we need to "see" how they pan out over a few years to come.  However, what we have seen so far is very positive.  So wait and see if you are worried, but I think we're likely to be pretty satisfied over time.  Remember it's not like laptop LCD's are exactly the picture of color accuracy now.  They have weak contrast ratio's in many cases and the color palette (let alone HDR) they can reproduce is often limited.  Some panels do better in those areas, but then they cost almost as much as OLED.  Color changing over time happens to LCD's too, particularly in high gamut LCD's where the backlight has been enhanced to display more spectrum.  So let's see.  But in the meantime you'll get far greater response time in most cases and contrast ratios that your eyes will thank you for.

Personally, I prefer OLEDs and VAs than IPS, now that I've gotten used to the deep blacks. Problem with OLEDs is that low response times do not exactly translate to high refresh rates.Since the pixels are lit for white and turned off for black, high refresh rates means that there won't be enough time for the pixel to dim down and then light up again resulting in smearing or ghosting. So the manufacturer has to fill in a 'dummy' black signal or compromise on the blurring part, which sort of negates the benefits of moving to OLED in the first place. I think OEMs would wait it out and move to micro LED eventually to get the best of worlds.

pablow

C'mon I'm still waiting for the Dell G7 15 (7590) with OLED panel. It's the only laptop with no compromises!

-i7-9750H
- RTX 2080
- numpad
- sd card reader
- thunderbolt 3
- webcam on top
- oled display with DCI-P3 color gamut (even more than Adobe RGB)}
- 90 WHr, 6-Cell Battery

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview