News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

New Dell Alienware m15 R2 is essentially a miniaturized Area-51m

Started by Redaktion, May 28, 2019, 09:01:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

It hasn't even been a year since the 2018 Alienware m15 and now a redesigned Alienware m15 R2 is ready to hit the market. The new chassis sports a similar honeycomb-inspired ventilation design as the Area-51m but in a smaller and tighter package that we've come to expect from an ultra-thin gaming laptop.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/New-Dell-Alienware-m15-R2-is-essentially-a-miniaturized-Area-51m.421368.0.html

Abbie

The previous gen looked a bit too obnoxious with those thick glossy bezels and the awkward hinge. THIS seems to be re-defining the Alienware design language and I'm onboard with that. We finally get per-key lighting, thinner bezels and a dedicated num pad, but man the cons are huge. Bottom-side firing speakers, generic keyboard, 76 Whr battery and I'm sorry but SOLDERED RAM? SOLDERED!? FFS. I don't really use more than 16GB on my laptop right now but you're borrowing the wrong ideas from that fruity a** company again, Frank.
BTW can someone enlighten me on what DIMM the 2016 onward MBP Pros use?

handi

I am fan of the Alienware, I bought Alienware m15 R2 when it was launched in Feb 2019 even when my Alienware 13R3 is still working very fine.
When I first read m15 R3 to be launched less than half year after R2, I was worry and a bit of regret.
To both m15 R2 and 13 R3 I have bought, first thing I do was upgraded them to 32 GB memory.
While major improvements are 30 percent improved cooling and 9th gen. CPU, R3 does not look smaller or lighter than R2, R3 even has less battery capacity than R2 which already not so much for gaming and:

SOLDERED RAM IS CERTAINLY THE DEAL BREAKER ! !

I bought Alienware for their philosophy of powerful and highly customizable for advanced users. Now I am not regret bought m15 R2 and even think I was lucky to bought R2.
If it is thicker, heavier and not for customization, why don't I just buy Razer Blade Pro instead?

I hope DELL / Alienware read our comment and do not repeat this in next generation of laptops.

"system RAM is now soldered and non-upgradeable"

Annnnd, it's out of the picture. Just like that.

Abbie

Okiee, I think there's a misunderstanding here with the RAM upgrades.

*NOT ALLOWED TO POST URLS SO GOOGLE THIS*
Hands-On The All New Alienware m15 And XPS 15 With Frank Azor!

@2:35 Azor seems to mention 'one SODIMM slot for you to do some upgrades'. I can't possibly imagine how that would work, but hey, lets hold our horses until we actually see it get reviewed

Handi Tsang

What is the point to make one ram slot soldered and another replaceable? It will be in high risk of ram compatibility problem.
Since m15 R2 was just launched 4 months before and I have already own one with 32 GB Ram. I am okay to wait and see review.
I am just disappointed and worry they made such a poor design in future model. 

Heracles

Hey Allen. Your comparison table includes a 1080p 240 Hz w/ 100% sRGB + Tobii eyetracking display for the first release of the M15, whereas your article on the first M15 (dated 12.12.2018) says "Users can choose between 1080p 60 Hz, 1080p 144 Hz, or 4K UHD 60 Hz.". So when did the 1080p 240 Hz w/ 100% sRGB + Tobii eyetracking panel replace the 1080p 144 Hz one?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview