News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

An ARM and a leg: What ARM's latest decision may cost Huawei

Started by Redaktion, May 23, 2019, 17:17:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

ARM's recent announcement to cut ties with Huawei may leave the Chinese dragon in a lurch. While Huawei manufactures its own custom processors, they are built on ARM's architecture. Should ARM revoke Huawei's ability to use this architecture, Huawei has few options outside of developing its own CPU architecture to continue its electronics business.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/An-ARM-and-a-leg-What-ARM-s-latest-decision-may-cost-Huawei.421431.0.html

A.

They could use the MIPS architecture, but this too is held by an American company. Maybe now is the good time for OpenRISC and, more importantly, RISC-V (although I highly doubt it).

Sam Medley

While RISC-V is open source, at least parts of it were developed in the United States. It would be interesting to see how that would play out; the US would surely attempt to use some kind of licensing to block it's use.
I doubt Huawei would go for RISC anyway. It's main use is research; it would still take a LONG time to develop a RISC-V based SoC.

Deli

Wait... AMD is based in Taiwan? I thought AMD is a very US company.
or... do you mean TSMC (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company)? TSMC indeed can supply Huawei chips since their chips use very little amount of "US designs"

S.Yu

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview