News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Buying a Dell XPS 13? We recommend checking for coil whine

Started by Redaktion, February 23, 2019, 21:06:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Our Dell XPS 13 9380 test unit suffers from high-pitched coil whine that may potentially be a nuisance during regular use. The phenomenon is not damaging to the machine, but its intensity and volume may vary between different units.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Buying-a-Dell-XPS-13-We-recommend-checking-for-coil-whine.410642.0.html

Nick G.

In my experience this has been a problem with a lot of Ultrabook style laptops the last few years.  I actually returned an early HP Spectre because I couldn't deal with the intensity of whine it produced, the second one was similar, switched to the XPS 13 and while still present it was far less intense.  There's something in the basic design of these machines in conjunction with the power requirements that seems to make them predisposed. 

Pali

I have same issue on my XPS15, however there's even one more source of hifreq noise: "when image on display is not static"

It would be interesting to see comparison of whine or noise between:
- displaying any document (e.g. wiki) and
- scrolling the document

Casey

I had a 9350 with bad coil whine and I can't believe it's still an issue all these years later.

Balveen@XPS

Hi Allen, I'm on the XPS Community Engagement team at Dell and we'd like to better understand the problem you're experiencing. If you can private message me your service tag and any additional info about the specific issue I will forward it on to our engineering team.

Thanks!
XPS Community Engagement Team @ Dell

Steven Valyi

I ordered a Dell XPS 13 9380 Developer Edition ( with ubuntu ) and it suffered from coil whine. The problem was reproducible. The sound appeared with AC on and battery loaded with any action ( opening software / copy / just scrolling pages ).
The sound was coming more from the upper left part near the AC.

I sended the notebook back . Would have liked to keep it cause all other stuff is nice - but the sound is pretty irritating

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview