News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell XPS 13 9380 (i7-8565U, 4K UHD) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, February 19, 2019, 15:23:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

What benefits does the Core i7 SKU offer over the Core i5 SKU? We benchmark the most expensive XPS 13 9380 configuration and compare it to the less costly Core i5 SKU to show all the differences users can expect.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13-9380-i7-8565U-4K-UHD-Laptop-Review.409356.0.html

fozzybear

Would it be possible for reviews to include sound recordings of fan noise and coil whine?  What might be inaudible to or fine for a reviewer might be annoying to someone else.  With an audio recording from a microphone near the keyboard surface, it should be easy to pick up any coil whine.

justmechris

Great review.  I am very curious to see what the runtime difference between a 4K and FHD display are on the 9380.  I have an older XPS 13 that is due for an upgrade with the old 3200 display on it, and while it is nice, I am weighing giving up on it for more battery time.  However, it would be great to know how much battery time I would be getting by ditching the 4K display.

Allen.Ngo

Quote from: fozzybear on February 19, 2019, 16:31:57
Would it be possible for reviews to include sound recordings of fan noise and coil whine?  What might be inaudible to or fine for a reviewer might be annoying to someone else.  With an audio recording from a microphone near the keyboard surface, it should be easy to pick up any coil whine.

That's a great suggestion we'll have to consider especially if we start getting more laptops exhibiting electronic noise.

The existing fan noise graph on this page shows electronic noise, but it's easy to miss. The red line (system idle) shows a small peak at a high frequency of 5k Hz compared to the white line (control background).

Quote from: justmechris on February 20, 2019, 01:59:48
Great review.  I am very curious to see what the runtime difference between a 4K and FHD display are on the 9380.  I have an older XPS 13 that is due for an upgrade with the old 3200 display on it, and while it is nice, I am weighing giving up on it for more battery time.  However, it would be great to know how much battery time I would be getting by ditching the 4K display.

Yes, we'll be reviewing the i7-8565U with the FHD panel shortly! Nonetheless, it's difficult to align two different SKUs perfectly for testing WLAN battery life because of Windows and its ever-alternating background activity.

Ucvivkgvkv

Robgoren

Dell has told Forbes that it sources its 4k panels from both Sharp and AU Optronics. After checking out the Sharp panel in the XPS 9380 at my local Microsoft Store, I can guarantee it uses the same high frequency PWM as its predecessor.

Ondřej

Cool infos here, thank you! Could you please run some DPC latency tests (LatencyMon) on this machine?

Nicolò

Is Dell going to update the 2in1 version of the XPS13 anytime soon?
I would be happy to see a XPS13 2in1 updated with good camera position.

Joshua Allum

Thanks for the review! I was wondering why the camera score for this laptop is so low (29/85) and whether this score implies grainy or poor webcam performance for use cases such as video calls.

zazzn

Been using this laptop and it's fantastic aside from the touchpad. The touchpad experience is so bad it ruins the laptop. Basically, 2 finger touch scrolling has a mind of its own if it works and clicking while using the touchpad makes the cursor jump all over the place.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview