News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell resolves the XPS 15 9570 NVIDIA GPU issue with BIOS 1.7

Started by Redaktion, January 17, 2019, 17:03:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

XPS 15 9570 owners rejoice. We can confirm that Dell has finally fixed the NVIDIA GPU issue that has been plaguing some 9570 laptops for months with BIOS 1.7. Unfortunately, the update has introduced some fan peculiarities though.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-resolves-the-XPS-15-9570-NVIDIA-GPU-issue-with-BIOS-1-7.393841.0.html

Annon

Can we downgrade the BIOS to a previous version where the laptop didn't have any of these issues. ?

mkdr

Copying over, what I already said before on the other article, glad it was mentioned and also reported to Dell, I did the same.

On my 9570 with 1.7.0 under Windows, the fans are now coupled to the dGPU 1:1. It wasnt like this before 1.7.0. Anything, which activates the dGPU, even if it just for a brief moment like doing a 1-second poll (like GPUz, or even Windows Task manager), regardless of its temps, activates the fans now for 7-10 seconds. Opening Steam, fans run for 10 seconds, go off. Even better: If I have Steam running in the back, or anything which can poll the dGPU, then go modern standby, wake up, it triggers the fans every single time for 10 seconds. Opening HwInfo... fans kick in for 10 seconds. CLOSING HWINFO... fans kick in for 10 seconds. Opening Nvidia panel... fans kick in for 10 seconds. Closing it... fans run for 10 seconds.

This just happens on AC, not battery it seems.

Opening / closing Edge triggers the fans now too. Same as opening Windows Explorer for the first time, then right click on an exe file (mostly because of the Nvidia dll for the context menu).

Example for Task Manager:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9eouyny81ctd9h/dgputriggersfans.mp4?dl=0

Fans/dGPU are off.
Opening Task manager (or other apps who access dGPU).
dGPU is on for half a second.
Fans go on for 7-9 seconds
Closing Task Manager.
Fans go on for 7-9 seconds.

I reverted back to 1.6.0 and that resolved the fan issues again. Flashed back to 1.7.0 and they're present again.

This also means btw, the laptops fans now kick in always you turn it on, this wasnt the case before 1.7.0. They also mostly spin if it wakes up from modern standby (and a dGPU poll app is open, like Steam).

This is UNACCEPTABLE. The fans need to be turned on JUST temperature related, not something bogus reason like an activation. The fans were always terrible on the XPS line (2 second spins randomly), or if the CPU jumps for a brief moment over 50°C they spin for a few seconds, then go off again... but now it is just terrible.

sjakie

And how about the color saturation on 4K screens?
Did not upgrade yet, but read a lot of comments stating that colors where oversaturated after upgrading from 1.5.

mkdr

@sjakie Still broken since 1.6.0. It is not really "broken" but the problem is, that the option for color accuracy is missing and therefore not enabled per default anymore in the Intel GPU settings. I have no idea how this can be bios related, but it is. Seems there is some kind of feature flag inside the bios, the Intel GPU setting tool reads, and it is now broken or missing.

Bot92

Guys it's time to bail on Dell. My GPU performance still halves despite the BIOS update. Keyboard still skips keys. Computer BSODs now and again. Audio crackles. Bluetooth completely disappears from device manager until restart and drops devices every 30min. Videos play back with a mosaic grid effect. Dell has huge issues with both the BIOS and drivers. Never have I had a more buggy laptop.  >:(

mkdr

I am done. THIS IS NOT NORMAL OR "WORKING AS INTENDED":

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9eouyny81ctd9h/dgputriggersfans.mp4?dl=0

Fans/dGPU are off.
Opening Task manager (or other apps who access dGPU).
Fans go on for 7-9 seconds
Closing Task Manager.
Fans go on for 7-9 seconds.

ALL OVER WINDOWS. Opening whatever (task manager, Nvidia panel, Ms Edge, MSI AB, HwInfo).

Even right clicking on a EXE file in Windows Explorer!

THIS IS NOT NORMAL OR WORKING AS INTENDED.

mkdr

I think they just, as usual, try to circle the logic around to cover up their incompetence and to fix their bad and lazy programmed bios.

You have to ask them in a different way, not about if it is intended, that the fans now run before a throttle point is reached (74°c...). That was never to debate. To debate is:

Fans run for 9 seconds if you right click in the Windows Explorer on an EXE file...

Fans run for 9 seconds if you open Windows Task Manager...

Fans run for 9 seconds if you close Windows Task Manager...

Fans run for 9 seconds if you wake up from modern standby and there is a short dGPU poll...

Fans run for 9 seconds if you open Ms Edge.

Fans run for 9 seconds if you close Ms Edge.

Fans run for 9 seconds if you open Nvidia Panel.

Fans run for 9 seconds if you close Nvidia Panel.

Regardless dGPU temps are WAY BELOW any throttle point (33°C), dGPU was just polled for 100ms.

J-D

The bios update 1.7 didn't fix anything, I still have thermal throttling issues. I had a call with Dell today, they have a fix coming. This is a fucking nightmare.

I try to downgrade the bios 1.3.0 in multiple steps, since it's allowed. But I'm stock at 1.4.0 and my xps won't accept a downgrade to a lower version.

mkdr

@J-D I think youre confusing things here. What "thermal throttling" issues are you speaking about? I totally hope not, your complain leads to Dell throttling the laptop even more. If you undervolt both dGPU and CPU properly, there are no thermal throttlings.

bender000

Since you guys are a big review site and have a bit more clout than the average user, please keep chasing them re: standby issues. Ridiculous...

Modern standby would be gravy if it worked as designed, but it clearly doesn't!

J-D

@mkdr On a load my CPU won't get over 30% and the base clock will stay at 0.8Ghz, am-I the only one with this condition? I probably had better cpu performance with my laptop from 2008. Dell said it's linked to those bios issues, even if I try to tell them it may be not. Fan starts for 2-3 secs and quickly return to minimum speed. If I could get them to max speed trust me I would. I don't know what happened to my laptop but it surely not working as intended. The throttling of my CPU happens when the GPU is at 45°C.

mkdr

@J-D This could have multiple reasons, but there was a guy on the forums, whos 9570 showed the same issue, even after Windows clean install. You should ask Dell to send you a new unit. It is not normal.

J-D

Thanks @mkdr, I finally get Dell to accept this as a problem, a technician should come in the next days at my work place. I hope he will bring with him a new laptop, because my patience has run out.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview