News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Every OLED laptop announced at CES 2019

Started by Redaktion, January 17, 2019, 03:23:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

It's not a coincidence that the OLED XPS 15, Razer Blade 15, HP Spectre x360 15, and Lenovo Yoga C730 are all launching within 1 to 2 months of each other. These 15.6-inch laptops will likely source their 4K UHD OLED panels from the same provider.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Every-OLED-laptop-announced-at-CES-2019.395041.0.html

Puppy

Do I understand well that Lenovo EU customers becomes beta testers of the new OLED displays before it is launched in US?  >:D

John SMith

So... laptops with OLED's, that will eventually burn in the windows start button icon and battery full icon to the panel? Great news indeed!

Digitalguy

So, basically if you want OLED you have to take 4k too... Stupid marketing ruining laptops. 4k on a laptop is stupid. 2k would be a much better option but nobody is doing it, 4k is the buzz word for thoe marketing departments...

My hunch tells me these displays are the same, distributed by LG.

And yes, the equality for FHD screens is a pressing matter indeed. Not everyone including myself wants to pay "premium" for UHD on a laptop <17". Pro choice argument applies here as usual.

I would much rather have a 1080p@144Hz OLED touchscreen with Wacom and HDR10 support than a standard 4K UHD for the same price.

DF

First high DPI screens are the modern requirement - so 4K if you are offering a high end screen is really just intelligent marketing.  People who will pay for the OLED premium are likely to want 4K as well.

Secondly these are made by Samsung, which you can connect because at CES Samsung announced the availability of 13.3, 14 and 15.6 OLED screens for laptops.  LG is using all of its capacity for TV's.  Samsung's phone sales have been down, panels to Apple are less than forecast so they have the capacity to offer other market options.  This is also why they are coming in high DPI because the source manufacturing is there to support it and it then creates a "premium" high DPI product.

Everyone is interested, but I'm sure that price will hold a few back because no one talked the mark up for the screens.  Due to cost improvements over the years it won't be as huge as it was years ago, but it won't be free for sure.  And today's GPU's can drive 4K at plenty good FPS.  For those who desire lower res, just run at 1920x1080 and with the visual fidelity of the base DPI of these screens you will probably be very satisfied.  Really this offering will cover all bases pretty well.

@DF

Battery life, scaling and price are the 3 major concerns that most of us have. I don't believe the majority with this preference want lower resolution only for the sake of it.

Biggest issue here is investing premium features into 4K and unnecessarily driving up the price markup as a result. I want FHD with TOUCH functionality and PEN SUPPORT but unfortunately these are not options for many laptops. Same goes for playing favorites with high brightness, more color gamut, high contrast ratio, and HDR support.

"high DPI screens are the modern requirement"
My phone is 720p HD and I'm perfectly fine with it. I would also argue that taking away choices is the downright opposite of intelligent marketing.

Ednumero

Can we be reasonably confident these are real 3840(RGB)x2160 and not RG/BG or other 'PenTile' type actors? The 13.3" OLED panels from before were RGB, but this is worth watching out for.

----

Also @DigitalGuy 2K technically refers to a group of resolutions at and around 2048x1080, but I figure you mean 2560x1440. For future reference, some people might respond better to the term "QHD".

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview