News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell updates G5 and G7 gaming laptops with Nvidia's new RTX 2000 cards and a 4K OLED display

Started by Redaktion, January 08, 2019, 19:01:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Dell has announced at CES that it is upgrading the G5 15 5590, G7 15 7590, and G7 17 7790 with the new Nvidia RTX mobile GPUs, including the top-of-the-line RTX 2080. An OLED screen option is also being added, similar to the offering in earlier models of the Alienware 13.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-updates-G5-and-G7-gaming-laptops-with-Nvidia-s-new-RTX-2000-cards-and-a-4K-OLED-display.387871.0.html

law

they sure use the same chassis for something that is (presumably) even more thermal hungry than the GTX 1060?

Recycling chassis and cooling design seems to be the "case" for the majority of performance laptops since as early as GTX 9xx series. CPU bump from 4C/8T to 6C/12T has been a hot throttling disaster. Now manufacturers are jumping at a chance to upgrade dGPUs above their previous level e.g. shoving up 2080 Max-Qs in thin, 2 kg laptops. The following consequences will be interesting to watch.

GrosseFatigue

How did Dell know that a 17" OLED 4K display with the new RTX 2060 was what I was looking for! No one will have this winning combination of screen and graphic card. And a 90W battery option. I cant believe it. The RTX 2070 is tempting but I am not into gaming and there are some advantages of getting the lower spec card. Today I just cant buy a plain business laptop without a nice graphic card like people dont buy sedans anymore. The "gaming" laptops are the SUVs of laptops. At some point everybody will want one.

raylit20

Sc, The G7 is a little bit nicer build quality in person. There are very few differences in the two trim levels when they are optioned with the same hardware.

I had the G7 with the i7-8750H and the GTX 1060 6gb and had to return it due to constant thermal issues. Even a reseat on GPU + CPU with Liquid Ultra thermal paste only helped a little. Had a cooling dock underneath it the whole time as well. I will say that's a LOT of computing horsepower to have in a laptop and I'm not surprised at all it gets so hot!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview