News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2019 relies on a redesigned CNC aluminium chassis

Started by Redaktion, January 08, 2019, 02:01:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 4 convertible gets revamped for 2019 with a completely new chassis. For the first time ever on a ThinkPad X1 laptop, its completely made out of CNC-machined aluminium and not available in black.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Yoga-2019-relies-on-a-redesigned-CNC-aluminium-chassis.391296.0.html

"51 Wh battery"

They lost me there. Dell Latitude 7400 has 78 Wh, LG Gram 14 has 72 Wh battery. Maybe 51 Wh is a decent size for a 12" detachable tablet, but not on a full 14" laptop with a power hungry 500 nits UHD touchscreen.
Remember when their first consumer flagship Yoga 910 had a 78 Wh battery in the same form factor? They're making lots of effort to cut corners what with switching to consumer quality materials and everything.

Maybe next year Lenovo.

John451

I have to agree on the battery, it seems to be dearly not enough, unless there are some serious BIOS optimizations on the power draw. If Apple can do it, why not others? Buut, since we know Lenovo...
Besides, how are they cutting corners? I don't see any other corners cut here, it all seems premium to me, with smallest detail in mind, but maybe I am wrong. Please correct me then.

Oh I just meant about the batteries. From what I can tell, Lenovo has been reducing battery capacities across all their lineups: Thinkpad, Ideapad and Yoga, including the premium X1, 700 and 900 series.

Apart from the specs in a laptop, my order of priority goes: battery > build quality > expandability > display > I/O > keyboard > touchpad > audio > others. Excluding service, reliability and quality control which are difficult to quantify given the state of the market.

For materials I simply favor magnesium alloy and carbon fiber to a full aluminum build. Although well engineered aluminum laptops like HP Elitebook and Samsung Notebook 9 have been fairly durable. It's just a personal preference.

No retractable keyboard either it seems. Shame because that's what sold me when I bought mine. Not business features, not the first premium screens on a Lenovo, and certainly not some Thinkpad brand attachment. Well, they really killed my favorite ultrabook.

gizmodo.com/yall-ruined-one-of-lenovos-best-thinkpads-1831527865

A comment is under this article sounds like an accurate description:

"This sounds like BS. I think reality is closer to: "An executive wanted to squeeze more profit out of their laptops so he directed the engineers to use cheaper material (aluminum vs carbon fiber). The engineers pointed out that people might not like having their laptop made out of an inferior material. The executive then came up with the brilliant idea of telling the consumers it was their idea in the first place."

Step 3: Profit"

I'm very much looking forward to exploring other 2 in 1s, particularly HP, Dell and LG's offerings.

Timothy Carey

OldSalty

y'all have to be retarded if you think carbon fiber is better than aluminum (not aluminium) for a material. Hands down my old samsung series 9 was by far better than the x1 carbon thats currently seated on my chest. heat issues, signal quality, electro-radiation and broken bits of case (gone through 4 cases on my x1 so far) all attest to the superiority of aluminum over 'a lighter space-grade material' like carbon fiber.
But hey, some people think apple makes a better product which just goes to show you the world is full of idiots.

Bogo

I'm desperate for a Macbook alternative. Here I come Lenovo.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview