News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD's Ryzen 3000 CPUs to get outstanding performance bump over Ryzen 2000 models

Started by Redaktion, October 19, 2018, 09:45:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Ryzen 2000 series still delivered decent performance gains over the original Ryzen models, even if the shrinking process was minimal. With the jump from 12 nm to 7 nm, the IPC boost is expected to be almost 5 times greater, at least in "scientific tasks." If multimedia and gaming loads get the same boost, this could be huge for AMD.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-s-Ryzen-3000-CPUs-to-get-outstanding-performance-bump-over-Ryzen-2000-models.338880.0.html

Lucas

Are there really any real scenarios where anyone would use more than 8 cores besides servers? Looks like that AMD wants to flood everything with cores while there are not many applications which actually use them. There already is threadripper.
As for the same socket comment, does anyone really change cpus when a new one is released? Usually an upgrade is a real upgrade with a few generations of advance, not just one od two, so that is not a real argument, except for extreme enthusiasts. My mney is still with intel as their itx motherboards have more features than AMD counterparts and they still use PCIe 2 for the chipset ..

Ale

@Lucas - The answer to that is yes. While it is true that most programs did not use more than 2 cores due to mostly many programming languages being so old that many of them don't have proper handling of multiple cores. That said, times are changing as now libraries and programming languages are taking multiple cores in mind.

FireFox Quantum is a rewrite of firefox with multiple cores in mind. Chrome also has good support for multiple cores. So more cores would make your web browsing experience smoother and faster. This will be even more so as websites start implementing Webworkers API.

As more and more apps are now becoming HTML5 apps, you will see advantages across the board.

With new gaming APIs such as Vulkan and DX12, games will become a lot more CPU bound than before and can take advantage of as many cores as they can.

Of course you also have traditional tasks that take advantage of multiple cores such as streaming while playing and etc.

Lucas

@Ale - thank you for you answer, my main concern, being from an ERP background are tasks which cannot be done simultaneously (like mathematical sequences) and then all cores need to wait, that's why I prefer less but faster cores with more IPC. You are right that more and more games benefit from those cores but as shown in various benchmars recently, more GHz is better than cores, but maybe that will change, only time will tell. Personally I would prefer to stop at 8 cores and focus on their performance, internal interconnections, RAM dependence etc., there are a lot more things that can be improved.

Bobby

I don't understand why you would need a 5Ghz Intel CPU to make happy EMF Harvesters, as for me, I have enough Intel Lenovo Laptops, and even one I7-2600, and my old AMD-FX8350 still works great on windows 10 even.

My answer is, are you using your "Home Computer" for a "Home Business", or not. If not , then your $2500 home computer is "disposable income". much like your useless 4K TV, that makes no Income Revenue at home to keep watching? for 6 hours every night.

So for me, I'm thinking of a Ryzen 3000 CPU System next year, to give one more Home Computer Business Station, to AMD Market Share, at $500, instead of a $1000 Intel Core I9-990?

Do you really need a "$2500" Intel Computer to Jerk Off too? With Disposable income?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview