News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Microsoft rumored to be acquiring Obsidian Entertainment

Started by Redaktion, October 09, 2018, 21:44:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

It appears Microsoft is looking to buy out Obsidian Entertainment, if a report from Kotaku is accurate. Microsoft has acquired a number of video-game studios over the last few years, including paying US$2.5 billion to take over Mojang, the company that created Minecraft, in 2014. Obsidian has been behind titles such as Fallout: New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-rumored-to-be-acquiring-Obsidian-Entertainment.337800.0.html

Nyasha

I see all these studio acquisitions as a bad thing. Microsoft/Xbox have been under a lot of fire for their lack of exclusive games, so the only logical fix for that is for them to make studios create games only for their platform.

On the bright side, they should be better funded and the focus on a single platform will mean they can optimise games to the level of the Forza series.

On the bad side, we'll start to see less games that can be played on any major platform. this is a huge step backwards for the gaming industry.

I like the Xbox because they generally make a much better platform for games and gamers. I'd prefer if they continue to focus on that

Annonmooose

I agree with the top poster, these acquisitions only detriment free thinking and game development on multi-platforms.

On top of that grabbing the most competent RPG studio and sticking their games only to your platform (hypothetically) makes me hesitant to buy their games. I refuse to use UWP as its garbage, and while I own an Xbox One its not my primary game console so it means by walling the garden I'm not going to get to experience this developers games.

At what point does anti-competition practices come into play, especially with console exclusivity.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview