News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme (i7, 4K-HDR, GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, September 27, 2018, 00:40:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Lenovo expands it ThinkPad X1-series with a 15.6-inch laptop and competes directly with the popular Dell XPS 15 as well as the Apple MacBook Pro 15. The new flagship is equipped with a high-resolution HDR screen as well as a discreet Nvidia GPU. But is this still a business laptop or rather a full-fledged multimedia device with some business features for consumers?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Extreme-i7-4K-HDR-GTX-1050-Ti-Max-Q-Laptop-Review.335608.0.html

Chris88

Hi Andrew, thanks for the review. When you say the glossy display will be a problem, could you elaborate in comparison to a Dell & MacBook glossy display? Is it worse (more glossy) and because of its (lower brightness) much harder to see?

Anthony Donnelly

I am very curious about the glossy display comment as well, being the owner of a 4K model.  I wonder if the versions vary or if the model sent for testing is a pre-production model.  My display has an anti-glare/anti-smudge coating and is definitely not as glossy as the Dell XPS or Surface Book Pro. Having owned several MacBook Pro models, including a 2016 and 2018, the latter I returned to buy the X1E, I find the display perhaps even less glossy than the MBP.

Anthony Donnelly

I also have a number of color profiles installed, not just one, none of them extended color gamut.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chris88

Thanks for the info Anthony. Good to know and yes weird how it can differ so much between the same model. I read on the forums the other user found it fine with his/her 4k as well. Helps me in making my decision to purchase! As I'd have to decide by today if I wanna get sale price!

Didier

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your great review!
Snifff ...yes your "The very glossy screen surface is another problem." is a real cold shower.

Anthony Donnelly

I have to low a message count to post a link apparently, but I took a photo side by side with my wife's MacBook Pro.  The MacBook Pro display is shinier & the reflections more clear.  While Apple levels the playing field a little with a brighter screen when on, I am not sure how the X1E display can be problematic when less glossy than the MBP and certainly less so than the Gorilla Glass clad models like the Surface and XPS 2-1, unless we are saying the entire genre is problematic. Puzzled ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chris88

Anthony or Andreas,

Is the low response time of the screen noticeable? Like compared to other laptops say the MacBook Pro which has around 40ms GTG while this one has a whopping 60 GTG.

LAAN

I've been looking for this kind of detailed, technical review of the X1 E / P1 for a while but didn't find anything until now. Thanks. Looking forward to get additional information about battery life etc. I'm currently trying to decide between a Dell 5530 and a ThinkPad P1. The main differences as I see it would be keyboard, screen, battery life and build quality. Any additional info as to how the 5530 and  the X1E/P1 compares in these regards would be great.

Henrik

If this is going to be your work pc, I would go for the Thinkpad due to the keyboard. The keyboard for the xps 9570 is simply not pro quality. My xps shipped with a bad arrow key (which was fixed by dell onsite support) but my F2 key is beginning to make trouble as well...  :-\

Good point below, but the XPS 15 is a grand cheaper and comes with an additional 20 Wh battery and Dell's excellent power optimization. The 9570 configured to i5 / FHD absolutely cruses X1E with its 15 hours of unparalleled runtime and a $1,030 price tag. Difference in keyboard is indeed pronounced but not enough to be a deal breaker for the XPS, which offsets this advantage by offering better touchpad, speakers and brighter displays.
Ultimately I'd go with the XPS if I had to spend my money. Though I do favor Thinkpads and fancy the idea of X1E as maybe a gift or a work laptop.

S.Yu

Interesting jack of all trades model, the only aspect left wanting is probably graphics but 1050Ti is already decent.
While the screen is already impressive I didn't realize a max brightness of 400nits could meet the DV HDR specifications? IIRC it needs at least 1000nits.

WWAN

Just a heads up to potential buyers, P1 and X1E 4k UHD model owners have been reporting on average 4 hours of actual battery life. 6.5 hour estimate appears quite unrealistic as the XPS 15 4k gets close to that number.

On a side note, missing LTE and the apparent screen ghosting really crushed my high hopes. Can't Lenovo get anything right these days.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview