News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus ZenFone 5Z Smartphone — Hands-on and First Impressions

Started by Redaktion, September 21, 2018, 06:43:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

After a series of lackluster ZenFone sales, Asus launched the ZenFone 5Z in July this year to appeal to those who value flagship-grade performance at an affordable price. The ZenFone 5Z goes against the reigning flagship-killer champion, the OnePlus 6, and it offers a similar feature set for much less dough. Does the ZenFone 5Z have what it takes to be a worthy contender to the OnePlus 6 or has Asus cut deep corners to reach more pockets? Let's find out.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ZenFone-5Z-Smartphone-Hands-on-and-First-Impressions.328684.0.html

Stan

Did you tried before writing that wireless charging wasn't available ?
I thought this phone had wireless charging

Alejandro

This phone looks impressive. My main concern would be with security updates. How's the Asus track record on this regard? I see from the screenshots that your unit has Android security patch level of June 5, 2018 which is almost 4 months old. This is a red flag for me.

Vaidyanathan

Quote from: Stan on September 21, 2018, 10:10:55
Did you tried before writing that wireless charging wasn't available ?
I thought this phone had wireless charging

Hi Stan. Can confirm. No wireless charging on the 5Z.

Vaidyanathan

Quote from: Alejandro on September 21, 2018, 11:02:09
This phone looks impressive. My main concern would be with security updates. How's the Asus track record on this regard? I see from the screenshots that your unit has Android security patch level of June 5, 2018 which is almost 4 months old. This is a red flag for me.

Yeah. I would have preferred a more regular update cadence. AFAIK, Asus has a once in 3-month update window for security updates so I am expecting an update by the end of this month.

nandan

Why no Full review as other smartphone reviews. No details written about PWM of display. Whether screen flickering is there or not.

Glenn Williams

Kshitij Iyer

PWM Frequency 2315 Hz
Response Times Response Time Grey 50% / Grey 80%: 53.2 ms*
Response Times Response Time Black / White: 27.6 ms*

Marty McLeod

I just got a ZenPhone 5Z to try after trying the Huawei Mate 20 X and Moto  G7 and getting eye strain from both.

Sadly I'm getting the same problems after only a short while when using the 5Z so it'll have to go back to Asus.

Even though the listed 2,315 Hz PWM would seem high I wasn't sure the one I have is that high, since I started have exactly the same problems (headache, vision problems, and eye strain) as I did the the other 2 phones with PWM frequencies that were supposedly much lower (~250Hz or so).

Not sure what I'll do now except maybe try the Sony 10 Plus. My current phone the Sony Xperia Z Ultra is easy on my eyes.

What a terrible problem as it appears that pretty much ALL of the nice, modern phones are unusable by those of us who get eye strain.  :-\

Vladislav B

Construction "is still fragile"? Meaning specifically what? Is it easy to bends or twist or creaks when pressed hard? It actually feels like a small glass and metal brick. No IP rating or likely to crack if dropped from a considerable height does not make a device "fragile".

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview