News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell G5 15 5587 (i5-8300H, GTX 1060 Max-Q, SSD, IPS) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, June 28, 2018, 16:14:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

I know that one! With Coffee Lake and a good mid-range GPU, Dell presents the G5 15 as a gaming notebook for the limited budget. Being the successor of the Inspiron 15 7577, the device looks visually very familiar. You can find out in our detailed review which additional improvements the G5 has to offer and how the device fared in our test run.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-G5-15-5587-i5-8300H-GTX-1060-Max-Q-SSD-IPS-Laptop-Review.312816.0.html

jayx

QuoteThe multi-thread performance of the Intel Core i5-8300H looks only marginally worse than that of the Intel Core i7-7700HQ.
Why is that?

Bert U

Quote from: jayx on June 28, 2018, 17:40:33
QuoteThe multi-thread performance of the Intel Core i5-8300H looks only marginally worse than that of the Intel Core i7-7700HQ.
Why is that?

Probably because it is a very similar CPU. The i5-8300H is also a quad core with hyperthreading and has a 'turbo boost' matching the that of the i7-7700HQ.

Lukas S

If I'm up to gaming & multimedia & ms office use only, is it worthy to buy G5 (i5, 1060) over Inspiron 7577 (i5, 1060)? Comparing reviews of both, Inspiron seems to be quieter and much cooler under stress, and at the same time G5 does not generate much more framerate and is more expensive?
Advise please.
L

law

Quote from: Lukas S on June 28, 2018, 23:14:33
If I'm up to gaming & multimedia & ms office use only, is it worthy to buy G5 (i5, 1060) over Inspiron 7577 (i5, 1060)? Comparing reviews of both, Inspiron seems to be quieter and much cooler under stress, and at the same time G5 does not generate much more framerate and is more expensive?
Advise please.
L

If only for gaming and ms office then you should be fine with the Inspiron.

Mind you the inspiron one has the older i5 without hyperthreading, so it might be the reason it's cooler. The hyperthreading on the newer i5-8300H on this G5 brings it slightly on par to the older i7-7700HQ. The extra power is useful if you gonna use it on things that needs a more powerful processing power (such as creative or engineering render). Most games will only get a slight benefit of this because most of them are GPU dependant. It explains why the FPS gain is somewhat minimal. There might be a bigger difference in  CPU dependant game like GTA V.

The G5 is a slightly futureproof, but so far the difference is minimal. Considering you won't use it for anything beside gaming and ms office, Inspiron should do good (and better value too since it's cheaper).

rga

Quote from: Bert U on June 28, 2018, 18:07:14
Probably because it is a very similar CPU. The i5-8300H is also a quad core with hyperthreading and has a 'turbo boost' matching the that of the i7-7700HQ.
Exactly. 8300H superior in every aspect.
Dell really failed hard so cpu with +500Hz all core turbo boost, more cache (which affects multicore performance) and more advanced architecture overall performed worse.

andres

Hello
Greetings from Estonia.
I am planning to buy a new gaming laptop. It would be a pleasure if you could help me choose between two laptops if it isn't to much trouble. The main specs seem to be the same and a little price difference
I hope it is okay that i use estonian sites.
First one Acer Nitro AN515-52:
manguarvutid.ee/e-pood/manguri-sulearvutid/1870030505840000/
Second oneDell Inspiron G5 5587:
manguarvutid.ee/e-pood/manguri-sulearvutid/d-n-5587-n2-712r/
I saw that you guys have made thorough tests with laptops. I hope you can give a little advice.

Thank you in advance
Andres

Sceptre_JLRB

Pretty nice review! Thank you so much!  ;)

Just a simple question:

Does the serigraphy of the keys in the keyboard come in white instead of red in the retail European models (i.e., Spain, I see yours is German one)?
And the same for the keyboard backlight: White instead of red?

NikoB

NikoB

And again bad IPS! Dull and less 60% sRGB!. No photos, no films with this IPS...

Rob Allen

I was informed by dell support that  "Dell G5 15 5587 offers a TPM"  is not true and in fact none of the series has TPM. Can you confirm ?

Eleo

I see that the photos shown in review are from previous years' laptops and not G5 of 2018. Because with G3/G5/G7, Dell has put the model name onto the laptop chassis. Both front side and back side. Those model names on chassis are absent on the photos shown here. And from what I recall, fingerprint is present in previous year's models, not on G5 2018. Please confirm it.

My question is, is this real G5 review or did you do it on previous year's model? And is this site trustworthy for the photos attached? Because it shows laptops with white keyboards, but the inscribed laptop model for G5 is missing in all of them.

Mik

Never trust the reviews, always check everything with your eyes, ears, etc.

Well don. Not.

Why on earth is the only USB 3 Thunderbolt port on the right aide where it will interfere with your mouse/hand?

Thunderbolt 3 must be placed on the left/rear side or better back of the device.

Poor layouts are dealbreakers.

NikoB

//Thunderbolt 3 must be placed on the left/rear side or better back of the device.
Omen 15 2018 (with 1060). But bad cooling, noise in idle and light load (surfing)...

Omen good only with 4-zones RGB keyboard and 144Hz fhd IPS. No cheaper version for this options with 8300h+1050 (ideal case for business and multimedia, if R&D had made a normal quiet cooling system under load up to 30-35% for all cores with 10-15% load of discrete graphics).

Omen 15 2018 with 4-zones keyboard + 4k IPS + 8750h + 1050 (2-4Gb) - ideal business notebook. Ideal ports places.
There is only an output spdif for the galvanic isolation with the electric circuits of the laptop and a quiet CO. And I would immediately buy 2 pieces with that ideal configs for work and multimedia functions.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview