News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon prototype: Current model was initially planned with 3:2 display and as MacBook-competitor

Started by Redaktion, June 21, 2018, 21:54:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Getting an inside view into the notebook industry is a rare thing and seeing actual prototypes even rarer still. A few days ago, Lenovo showcased such a prototype to Japanese journalists – the prototype of its current ThinkPad X1 Carbon. This two year old prototype looks very different from the production model.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-prototype-Current-model-was-initially-planned-with-3-2-display-and-as-MacBook-competitor.309990.0.html

Valantar

While I'd love for ThinkPads in general (and particularly the ultraportable X series) to move to 3:2 displays, I think they made the right decision here. The concept would make more sense as a replacement for the X2xx series, but they'd need to add back some ports. That bottom-dock expansion module would make typing on this a precarious exercise, making the whole laptop very unstable. And while a 3:2 12" display should be far superior to a 16:9 one, it's still tiny. I hope they go the compromise route: make the next generation of X1 Carbons 14" 3:2. The new X1 tablet made the switch, which is seriously making me consider getting one even at its price.

Benjamin Herzig

The shown prototype mock-up indeed has a 16:9 screen. But as you can see in this slide, Lenovo originally planned it with a 3:2 screen.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview