News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD 'Raven Ridge' APU drivers to be updated as quaterly releases only

Started by Redaktion, June 20, 2018, 10:06:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

AMD will be providing Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition driver updates for its 'Raven Ridge' APUs in a quarterly cadence as opposed to more frequent updates for its Radeon GPUs. This was clarified by an AMD rep to a user's query on the OverclockersUK forum. The drivers, however, will be delivered as WHQL certified releases.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Raven-Ridge-APU-drivers-to-be-updated-as-quaterly-releases-only.309582.0.html

Lucas

This is basically the reason I have been skeptical towards AMD support. Too bad they have once again confirmed that they do not fully support their products, which are a breath of fresh air in the market, but personally, I will not risk with AMD backing out of driver updates later on.

M2018

Lucas

@M2018,
I'm doing fine, thank you. I'm just pointing out that AMD support could use some improvement if they want to stay in the PC GPU market and not focus on consoles and cryptocurrency mining. The new cpus are great for productivity, but I'll stick to intel for gaming for now.

Vaidyanathan

Quote from: Lucas on June 20, 2018, 11:22:29
This is basically the reason I have been skeptical towards AMD support. Too bad they have once again confirmed that they do not fully support their products, which are a breath of fresh air in the market, but personally, I will not risk with AMD backing out of driver updates later on.
I will have to agree with you here. I used to have an old laptop that had an ATI Radeon HD 5470 or something like that. Suddenly AMD stopped providing WHQL certified drivers for it and pushed it into legacy mode, which is a synonym for dead. I get that they cannot support every card they've ever launched and it's not a good business practice too but was upset that NVIDIA was providing new GeForce drivers for cards older than the ATI card mentioned above. The new drivers might not add features and may be just an eyewash but customers do appreciate long term support.

Lucas

Quote from: Vaidyanathan on June 20, 2018, 16:46:47
Quote from: Lucas on June 20, 2018, 11:22:29
I will have to agree with you here. I used to have an old laptop that had an ATI Radeon HD 5470 or something like that. Suddenly AMD stopped providing WHQL certified drivers for it and pushed it into legacy mode, which is a synonym for dead. I get that they cannot support every card they've ever launched and it's not a good business practice too but was upset that NVIDIA was providing new GeForce drivers for cards older than the ATI card mentioned above. The new drivers might not add features and may be just an eyewash but customers do appreciate long term support.
That is exactly my point, I could get new drivers for my XPS M1530 with Nvidia 8600m GT up until the end of 2016 while AMD did not manage to support an X1400. Ryzen is a breath of fresh air, but this case is proof that AMD still lacks in terms of long term support and I would not trust them so easily.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview