News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Samsung open to selling its Exynos SoCs to ZTE

Started by Redaktion, May 19, 2018, 15:59:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

ZTE may have found a way out of its current troubles, as word claims that Samsung is willing to sell its Exynos SoCs to the company, in a bid to expand its ARM processor business.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-open-to-selling-its-Exynos-SoCs-to-ZTE.303756.0.html

Leonardo22

Mediatek has bad reputation because people who don't know nothing about these things associate the brand to a 1.1 ghz quad core processor every time even if the processor is high end. This is due to the fact that something like 5 years ago or more it was common to found Mediatek processor in low end smartphones because they have lower prices than qualcomm's but this handsets simply had numerous deficiencies, big performance hiccups and very low rates and affected people attitude against the brand. But this is only ignorance of people who don't know nothing on the topic and can't think properly but only complaining about everything. Mediatek mt6735 for example at its time was considerably more speedy in the web browsing than its qualcomm counterpart and matched the latter overall performance, so it depends on all the phone components of course and the chipset used at a certain price.

Ricci Rox

Quote from: Leonardo22 on May 27, 2018, 23:09:28
Mediatek has bad reputation because people who don't know nothing about these things associate the brand to a 1.1 ghz quad core processor every time even if the processor is high end. This is due to the fact that something like 5 years ago or more it was common to found Mediatek processor in low end smartphones because they have lower prices than qualcomm's but this handsets simply had numerous deficiencies, big performance hiccups and very low rates and affected people attitude against the brand. But this is only ignorance of people who don't know nothing on the topic and can't think properly but only complaining about everything. Mediatek mt6735 for example at its time was considerably more speedy in the web browsing than its qualcomm counterpart and matched the latter overall performance, so it depends on all the phone components of course and the chipset used at a certain price.

What about MediaTek's history with unreleased source codes?

Leonardo22

Thank you for the fast answer as you always do in other articles. I was simply concerned about the fact that there is so much fuss about them.  They are to blame for what, not being able to install custom roms on a phone? Because this is the most relevant consequence of that for a common user wich represents the majority of people that buy a certain phone. Frankly, i don't care if a community of developer can't do patches or develop custom roms as it's better that manufacturers bring the updates wich then are optimal regarding the final performance of a critical area of the phone, at least in theory. In my opinion roms are not so serious because users always complain of something that is not working properly as for exaple it's a problem of drivers that are not written as well as manufacturer can do. So what about google itself, it has been said multiple times that android was a copy of ios but are these sentences to be believed? Why no one blames them? They also bought Motorola and sold it after 3 years but keeping most of the patents to protect themselves. So are they a company of jackals that thrives only on the works of others? If the answer is yes it is however fine for most people it seems. Another thing with mediatek platfomrs is that updates or os updates come slower forcing you to buy new phones but in my opinion is better if a phone stay with the same os version that has been developed specifically for it rather than cramming in a set of features or a new os in a hurry only to make people happy they have the last new thing. Apple for example is know for doing that on purpose. All of this imho. Finally i would like to see manufacterers using exynos soc considering the disadvantage qualcomm top processor had from apple ones in the past years, about 40 % at least maybe. One should also consider the code written for a particular processor but for example the difference in overall speed between the iphone 4 and galaxy s wasn't noticeable considering the standard suite of benches of that time.
I don't know if i used a "strong language" against some brands, in this case sorry for that (and for the fact that i must write one thousand lines just to say a thing or two). Good day.

Ricci Rox

Quote from: Leonardo22 on May 28, 2018, 17:45:01
Thank you for the fast answer as you always do in other articles. I was simply concerned about the fact that there is so much fuss about them.  They are to blame for what, not being able to install custom roms on a phone? Because this is the most relevant consequence of that for a common user wich represents the majority of people that buy a certain phone. Frankly, i don't care if a community of developer can't do patches or develop custom roms as it's better that manufacturers bring the updates wich then are optimal regarding the final performance of a critical area of the phone, at least in theory. In my opinion roms are not so serious because users always complain of something that is not working properly as for exaple it's a problem of drivers that are not written as well as manufacturer can do. So what about google itself, it has been said multiple times that android was a copy of ios but are these sentences to be believed? Why no one blames them? They also bought Motorola and sold it after 3 years but keeping most of the patents to protect themselves. So are they a company of jackals that thrives only on the works of others? If the answer is yes it is however fine for most people it seems. Another thing with mediatek platfomrs is that updates or os updates come slower forcing you to buy new phones but in my opinion is better if a phone stay with the same os version that has been developed specifically for it rather than cramming in a set of features or a new os in a hurry only to make people happy they have the last new thing. Apple for example is know for doing that on purpose. All of this imho. Finally i would like to see manufacterers using exynos soc considering the disadvantage qualcomm top processor had from apple ones in the past years, about 40 % at least maybe. One should also consider the code written for a particular processor but for example the difference in overall speed between the iphone 4 and galaxy s wasn't noticeable considering the standard suite of benches of that time.
I don't know if i used a "strong language" against some brands, in this case sorry for that (and for the fact that i must write one thousand lines just to say a thing or two). Good day.

Haha, I agree with most of your points here. I, for one, am an enthusiast who mods, ports, and flashes devices on the regular. MediaTek is quite meh for that, without a doubt. It'd be bad enough if third-party support was all that suffered but actual OEM support takes a hit too, which is just unacceptable.

In terms of performance and efficiency, MediaTek is up there with Qualcomm--the disaster that was the Helio X series duly ignored. Would I buy a MediaTek device right now? Probably. The Helio P60 is baller. But it still wouldn't be my first choice.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview