News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Exklim's CEO answers community questions about the eX Core external GPU during interview with NotebookCheck

Started by Redaktion, April 30, 2018, 00:22:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

There has been a growing wave of people in the community calling the Exklim eX Core a scam. Some feel that the eX Core fills a new niche, some think that it can't achieve the claimed performance, while others believe it doesn't exist at all. We haven't seen any working products and we don't endorse the eX Core, but we did feel it was important to give Edgar the chance to answer some of the communities questions.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Exklim-s-CEO-answers-community-questions-about-the-eX-Core-external-GPU-during-interview-with-NotebookCheck.301564.0.html

Valantar

A good and informative interview. Great to see someone push back a bit like this, too many people have blind faith in Kickstarter projects that promise more-or-less unrealistic goals.

When it comes to the product, this is the direction I think eGPUs should take (though preferably with replaceable MXM boards for future upgrades!), as most eGPU cases are gigantic and impractical. The size, feature set and portability are all great design choices IMO. I'm a bit skeptical of the cooling though - dissipating 55 W through that thin chassis and the small openings seems like a challenge.

Also, I wish it didn't look like it was designed to accompany a HP Pavilion ca. 2009.

My main skepticism, though, is (as with most Kickstarter projects) that the company is brand-new and has no manufacturing history. This is a big red flag, as we've seen countless times that even experienced companies end up delayed or cancelling products due to unforeseen manufacturing challenges. Having three prototypes currently and promising volume production in three months? Yeah, that's optimistic.

Digitalguy

So basically TB3 can only power up to 15w? I expected more to be honest... I can understand this on battery power, but what if the laptop (not the egpu) is plugged in? Still 15w?

phila_delphia

Quote from: Valantar on April 30, 2018, 11:02:34
A good and informative interview.

When it comes to the product, this is the direction I think eGPUs should take (though preferably with replaceable MXM boards for future upgrades!), as most eGPU cases are gigantic and impractical.

Also, I wish it didn't look like it was designed to accompany a HP Pavilion ca. 2009.

I am absolutely with you.

Unfortunately MXM on it`s own never made Notebook GPUs upgradeable. If exclim can deliver what is announced, this might be a game changer. Especially when I think of future generation GPUs

As to the design: An all black, all white and all silver case would have surely been better. Perhaps next time...

Best regards

Phil

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview