News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP EliteBook 850 G5 (i5-8250U, FHD) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, April 28, 2018, 20:45:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Business for the Elite. For 2018, the largest PC manufacturer of the world, HP, has given its EliteBook series a big update. The better displays and metal case are supposed to help EliteBooks reach an even wider audience of business users. Find out whether HP has done a good job in our detailed review.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-EliteBook-850-G5-i5-8250U-FHD-Laptop-Review.301474.0.html

Enrique

Great laptop and great review (as always!).

Anyway, it seems that in this article there is a point not fully clear regarding the display. "Performance" section says that the 220 cd/m2 display is used only in the i5-7200U configuration, but the reviewed laptop with i5-8250U uses the AUO24ED panel that also has 220cd/m2. Moreover, in "display" section the measured brightness is 400 cd/m2.

Please, could you clarify this point?

Daniel G

Why are we only seeing Intel based laptops in the comparisons ?!

Could it be because HP's x360 AMD Ryzen laptop mops the floor with all these laptops listed above ?!

The is only one alternative comparable to Intel-based windows systems on the market right now and that's AMD.

Why are you boycotting the AMD based systems from your articles ?!

Benjamin Herzig

We do not include every single laptop on the market in our comparisons, so the author chooses a bunch of different devices. Usually those which are direct competitors and comparable systems, in this case, business laptops. As those devices are powered by Intel CPUs, thats what we use for the comparison.

Users can add additional devices to the comparisons if they so wish, by using the search bar below the compare element.

Otherwise, we have a great dedicated review for the HP Envy x360 with detailed comparisons: https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Envy-x360-15z-Ryzen-5-2500U-Vega-8-SSD-FHD-Convertible-Review.290638.0.html

Nikos

Hello, excellent review! One quick question: do you know if the UHD version of this laptop uses PWM flickering to dim the display? Are you going to test the UHD version? Many thanks, Nikos

Daniel G

Quote from: Benjamin Herzig on May 02, 2018, 16:53:55
We do not include every single laptop on the market in our comparisons.

Usually those which are direct competitors.

As those devices are powered by Intel CPUs, thats what we use for the comparison.

Otherwise, we have a great dedicated review for the HP Envy x360 with detailed comparisons

I did not say to include " every single laptop on the market" in the comparisons. Just the direct platform competitor : HP Intel-based vs HP AMD-based.

IMHO, it is impossible not to think about this comparison or to think that this is outside of the article scope.

Saying that "as those devices are powered by Intel CPUs, thats what we use for the comparison" sounds just as "reasonable" as reviewing a BMW and only comparing it with other BMWs because ..... it is as BMW ... ?! Really ?!

It actually sounds funny :)

I know that #AMD HP x360 review. It is a good one and a very good comparison point for other HP notebooks.

What I can't understand is why that particular HP in not included in comparisons. Not even in the Intel-based HP x360 review, which is ridiculous.

Honestly, to me, avoiding AMD-based results comparisons, seems suspicious and biased.

Especially since the same laptop, from the same manufacturer, from the same product line is being reviewed.

Benjamin Herzig

Well, as I told you, there is no direct AMD based competitor in the business laptop sector.

That BMW comparison is really bad, because we aren't just comparing HP laptops with HP laptops, but HP with other manufacturers laptops in the same class. A convertible from the consumer segment is decidedly not in the same class.

To use your analogy: We have a BMW limousine and we are comparing it with a Mercedes limousine. What you want is that we compare it with a BMW jeep.

Quote from: Daniel G on May 04, 2018, 23:19:08What I can't understand is why that particular HP in not included in comparisons. Not even in the Intel-based HP x360 review, which is ridiculous.
As every author chooses the competitor devices for the comparisons himself, you would have to ask the author of that review, not me.

Daniel G

I think is is a good opportunity to agree to disagree :)

I've been in the computer industry for 22 years already with a short 3 year stint in journalism as well and it is just my humble opinion that the two laptops give us a wonderful opportunity to compare & learn.

They're 15" notebooks, with very similar capabilities, similar specifications, same manufacturer. (looks like a "limousine" , moves like a "limousine")

This one is called "business" and costs 1600 EUR while the other one is called HP x360 and smacks the former in most benchmarks for literally half the price.

IMHO it would be a good comparison to have, to really emphasize why is the buyer supposed to pay 200% the money and what he gets for that 200%.

Oh well, thank you for the nice review anyway. It is useful information and I know just how much work it is to do one.

Respectfully,

DG

becritical

Quote from: Enrique on April 29, 2018, 12:53:05
Great laptop and great review (as always!).

Anyway, it seems that in this article there is a point not fully clear regarding the display. "Performance" section says that the 220 cd/m2 display is used only in the i5-7200U configuration, but the reviewed laptop with i5-8250U uses the AUO24ED panel that also has 220cd/m2. Moreover, in "display" section the measured brightness is 400 cd/m2.

Please, could you clarify this point?

I am wondering the same. I am having difficulties to find the exact model number for the 400 nits panel. I have found the HP part number which is L16641-001 but that is leading me nowhere.

MariusF

Problem is that HP Elite BOOK G5 850 case is not made of metal/aluminum but plastic with metal finishing. I have it in my hands on every day use at the company, do not get me wrong it is ok but not for the price HP is asking for.

Liongate

I've got a HP Elitebook 850 G5, updated to 16GB RAM. It's positively the worst computer I've ever had. Booting, and every day tasks are excruciatingly slow (Word, Excel, Outlook). I've come to loathe every minute I use it. It has a nice design, but it's a horrible computer. Compared to the HP 850 Elitebook 850 G4, it worthless. It has been to HP repair center, but with NO improvement. DON'T BUY IT.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview