News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

The eX Core is a compact and portable external GPU solution that is currently on Kickstarter

Started by Redaktion, April 11, 2018, 22:53:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Exklim has launched a kickstarter campaign for their ultra-portable take on external GPU's. Equipped with a GTX 1050 MXM card and running solely on power provided by the Thunderbolt 3 connection removes the need for additional power supplies and makes this a solution that can really be tucked into a laptop bag. The eX Core is still in the kickstarter stage and the marketing material leans towards promising more than the device might be capable of, but nevertheless it is an interesting product that is worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-eX-Core-is-a-compact-and-portable-external-GPU-solution-that-is-currently-on-Kickstarter.296880.0.html

Travis Hensley

I do not understand the market for an external 1050 that costs 2/3rds of what a laptop with an internal1050 in it would cost

Craig Ward

Hi Travis, I agree that the price is prohibitive at this point, and the consumer market for this is likely to be small at this point (e.g. Those who insist on having a 12-13 inch ultrabook because something slightly larger with a GTX 1050 or 1060 is still too bulky, but they want more graphical power than integrated or an MX150 etc.)

What interests me more about it is that it is so compact without the need for an external power supply. I'm hoping that 2-4 years down the line power efficiency gains allow them to put a card from around the middle of the GTX lineup (e.g. the future version of a GTX 1060) into the same sort of enclosure for the same sort of price.

Chris from Mexico

Hi, I'm from Mexico and I read you guys everyday.

About this product, here in my country (specifically in facebook groups about pc hardware) it has been advertised quite a lot but the people behind it look very sketchy and have told lies to the community (like saying that they created code specifically designed for it to improve it's mining performance).

A mexican youtuber made a video about it, just pointing out the facts that make it all look sketchy and after one day it was taken down because the owner of the company sent a complaint to youtube.

While on paper this product looks great, it looks like a huge scam might be in progress, so I advice you guys to add further information to the article to advice potential supporters in kickstarter, please.

Craig Ward

Hi Chris, thanks for the information regarding their practices on those Mexican Facebook groups.

I had noticed inconsistencies in some of their material (on youtube and on their kickstarter page), and I included a paragraph about kickstarter risks and mentioning a few concerns I had with information from this product.

My concerns generally centre around lack of details and quality information. This includes ones not mentioned in the article such as possibly purposeful misinformation about the render speed comparison on their kickstarter page, or claims of running games at high resolutions and graphics settings even though most wouldn't really consider it playable at that level.

But concerns about a lack of details and poor quality information aren't enough evidence to say a product is fake or a scam. If I receive any information that strongly shows this to be the case then I will update the article.

BlackJack84

An Exklim representative has joined the forum at egpu.io, where the eX Core is being discussed in a dedicated thread (can't post the link here, but I recommend that you go check for yourself and form your own opinion).
IMHO his answers look kinda shady and evasive to say the least.
For one, he is referring to this very notebookcheck article as a "review", while repeatedly refusing to answer any questions whatsoever in written form.
As one forum user rightly pointed out, either they are poor scammers, or in case they're indeed in good faith, they are poor at public relations. Either way, it doesn't bode well for their reputation when they come asking for your money. I've been scammed by more convincing folks on Kickstarter.

Craig Ward

Hi BlackJack84. I've had a look through the forum thread you mention and I will contact the PR agency they're using to see if we can get any better information than what they've shared on egpu.io.

Regarding any comments related to reviews: We haven't reviewed the eX Core, nor have we seen any prototypes.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview