News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad E580 (i5-8250U, UHD 620, SSD) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, March 21, 2018, 13:28:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Less is more! Recently, we have had the 2018 ThinkPad with dedicated AMD Radeon RX 550 GPU in review. Now, we're putting the entry-level model through its paces. Let's find out what the more basic model is truly capable of.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-E580-i5-8250U-UHD-620-SSD-Laptop-Review.289954.0.html

PassiTheApe

Are they actually serious with this internal layout?
Come one, they could have easily put the M.2 between the tiny motherboard satellite and the fan, rotated the 2.5" drive 90 degrees, moved it to the very left and increased the battery capacity at least 30%, possibly even 50%. There's literally room for improvement.

Mikej

Hi, could you please re-test this laptop with the latest BIOS and Intel Management Engine updates? After these updates, the fan constantly runs up and down even on normal usage like casual web surfing, the fan is very loud too, making the machine much worse to use.

The problem may be related to the processor turbo boost system, disabling processor boost

More details can be found by searching the Lenovo forums for "[E580] Fan running more often since updating Intel ME firmware"

BIOS version: R0PET38W 1.15
IME version: 11.8.50.3425

NikoB

Really, all configs with 8250u sell in online don't have backlit of keyboard...

IPS very poor, only 45% NTSC, very dim, bad viewing agnles. It's SHAME for all manufactures for this price class. Good IPS more expensive, for only $30. But they, deliberately do not install the normal IPS for marketing reasons, so that there is a difference with expensive models.

NikoB

E580 100% have Display Port 1.2 via usb-c, but not have gen2 (10Gbits/s). PSREF from Lenovo lies for this specification for marketing reasons, so that there is a difference with expensive models in L/T series. E have output for 3 monitors as L series (internal+HDMI+DP1.2).

nachum37

Quote from: NikoB on May 29, 2018, 10:17:33
E580 100% have Display Port 1.2 via usb-c, but not have gen2 (10Gbits/s). PSREF from Lenovo lies for this specification for marketing reasons

Hi NikoB, Can you please specify how you know this? How can I check this out?

Edit: lsusb -t on linux return 5000M device only... Lenovo simply lies on the specification.

NikoB

nachum37,
another german tester make more professional test for E580. No problem with connect to 4к@60Гц, as I expected initially that Lenovo lies in the specifications, the lack of support for DP1.2 over usb-c.
The reason they lied is obvious - the port of usb-c is combined with the power in of the laptop (how did the moron come up with such a solution?) And it is necessary to buy a docking station in which there is a power input of 60-65W and outputs DP1.2 and usb 3.1 ports. There is no such thing in the Lenovo assortment, but other companies do it, fortunately.

This tester is check 10Gbit/s Gen2 with Gen2 device - no support Gen2 in reallity for E series. NB not check this theme...

The second serious drawback of the new E-series is the lack of support for the SATA protocol at 2280, although SATA SSDs are now as cheap as possible (500GB less than $ 100). But Lenovo, and then added a fly in the ointment.

MarioS

Hi,
I would like to check two things.
1.) Is it possible to disable OPAL encryption.  I'm aware of data loss if this is done. This would not be the problem. I just need better read/write performance.
2.) Is this notebook ready for 2.5" SATA drive? Does it need some kind of adapter connector, cable, holder, what ever?

Ebrahim Kheriwala

Lenovo laptops are so bad. I have TP E580 Worst laptop ever. Terrible cooling Never buy laptops from this company

MarioS

Quote from: Ebrahim Kheriwala on January 03, 2019, 17:50:18
Lenovo laptops are so bad. I have TP E580 Worst laptop ever. Terrible cooling Never buy laptops from this company
Why!? What's so bad? Please write more details.

Ebrahim Kheriwala

The hardware doesn't provide sufficient cooling. There is continuous thermal trolling. The recent BIOS updates have deteriorated performance a lot

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview