News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Samsung Notebook 9 NP900X5T (i7-8550U, GeForce MX150) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, March 13, 2018, 06:58:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Periodic throttling. The Notebook 9 NP900X5T would have been a powerhouse of an Ultrabook if it weren't for its intolerable throttling when gaming.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-Notebook-9-NP900X5T-i7-8550U-GeForce-MX150-Laptop-Review.287284.0.html

Nicolas

Same old ignorance on chassis durability like any other hardware review.
flexible chassis =/= weak, rigid chassis =/= durable.

2018 LG Gram 15 torture test
notegear.com/Content/Content_View.asp?TNum=2088&kind=2&gotopage=1

2018 Samsung Notebook 9 Pen 13 torture test
notegear.com/Content/Content_View.asp?TNum=2076&kind=2&gotopage=2

Digitalguy

Yes, exactly the same ignorance shown by most reviewers that do no stress tests on these laptops. Even the 2017 LG Gram passed without any serious damage some stress tests (like a scooter running over it) that would have destroyed any thinkpad (precisely thanks to a flexible but durable chassis).

Adroit

I found the same 74C CPU and 64C GPU limit in my first tests yesterday. This caused a lot of frustration, with the crazy dips in frame rate being unbearable. However, as long as Samsung Settings is still installed, you should be able to press FN+Q to enable max performance mode. This either raises the limits to 85ish CPU 75ish GPU or removes them completely. I had much better performance and no frequency/frame drops after enabling this. I've only tested performance mode while both the CPU and GPU were undervolted. They were also undervolted in my tests prior to finding performance mode.

Tweaker

This or the Xiaomi Notebook Pro ?  Based on price, I'd think the Xiaomi based on interior pics and tests ?  It seems like the Xiaomi runs better under load too, on default settings.

FNQ

Yeah, press FN + Q, and you will be free. Not sure about the minor clock throttling after that, but I can play games without hassle.

I think it is a smart move since the fan speed limit (=noise) & battery life changes. I had problems with lightweight gaming laptops like MSI GS60 series that goes way too noisy to use it in the quiet study room in the library even if I am just doing light coding. (I found a way to control fan settings using the app for GS63VR, but it took years to come out)

Ko Sheung Hang

There is no performance mode in my 15inch mx150 veriosn  >:(

Quote from: Adroit on March 13, 2018, 19:31:03
I found the same 74C CPU and 64C GPU limit in my first tests yesterday. This caused a lot of frustration, with the crazy dips in frame rate being unbearable. However, as long as Samsung Settings is still installed, you should be able to press FN+Q to enable max performance mode. This either raises the limits to 85ish CPU 75ish GPU or removes them completely. I had much better performance and no frequency/frame drops after enabling this. I've only tested performance mode while both the CPU and GPU were undervolted. They were also undervolted in my tests prior to finding performance mode.

leecmyd

So, did the reviewer turn on performance mode when running the benchmarks or did all of the throttling he experienced happen because he was in the non-performance mode?

Colin

So in essence, the main limitations of this laptop can be overcome by pressing FN + Q?  This being without an update from Samsung, about which I wonder the likelihood?

hfm

Does the model without the dGPU have a full 4-lane Thunderbolt 3 port?

It's not possible to have a 4-lane TB3 port when there is a dGPU in the mix, it takes up 4-lanes and there are only 2 left for the TB3 connection.

The LG Gram 15 has this situation where the model without the dGPU has a full 4-lanes but the CPU throttles on that relentlessly due to poor cooling so it's not useful for eGPU use.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview