News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) Undervolting Guide

Started by Redaktion, March 09, 2018, 00:14:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Trying to lower temperatures, improve performance, or increase battery life is all about making small tweaks that can add up to something more noticeable. Intel XTU is a powerful piece of software for undervolting or overclocking, but it can be daunting if you don't understand the myriad options presented to you. This guide covers the layout of Intel XTU and gives the process for adjusting voltage and TDP to reduce temperatures, extend battery life, and improve performance. Keep in mind that this software isn't magic, so the improvements aren't drastic, and some changes may have no effect at all — depending on your situation.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-XTU-Undervolting-Guide.272120.0.html

Craig Ward

Quote from: Sergey on March 11, 2018, 11:24:13
Which laptops have unlocked tdp?

Generally it's the Chinese OEMs who leave the TDP unlocked on non-K series processors. Xiaomi is probably the most major manufacturer who allows this that comes to my mind (yes I admit they aren't that big in the notebook market). For example, the Xiaomi Mi Air 12 / Air 13 / Pro allow TDP modification depending on which BIOS version you're running. Other than this, you can find it among some of the generic rebrand models from the smaller brands.

Outside of this, I seem to remember the EVE V having some sort of toggle (I think in the BIOS) which allowed switching TDP between two pre-defined settings. As for others, I can't recall anything specific, but custom BIOS might provide this option on some models.

bart_o_s_h

Quote from: Sergey on March 11, 2018, 11:24:13
Which laptops have unlocked tdp?

My Lenovo 510-15ISK has unlocked TDP. Normaly its 15W but in turbo mode reaches 25W for about 20 sec. Its useless for me because 25W is needed when CPU and integraded GPU (IHD520) is working on max performance but its normaly never happens becouse this model has second card GF 940MX. The XTU program allowed me to increase the TDP to 25W and keep the full speed of the CPU (3 GHz) and max power integrated GPU (IHD520) and worked for several minutes without throttling. CPU temperature did not exceed 85 degrees.

Craig Ward

Quote from: Milan on March 14, 2018, 16:42:22
Are there any Linux alternatives for this tool?

hmmm, it appears that my original reply was never posted, it was something along the lines of:

The only two major GUI tools (Intel XTU and Throttlestop) are windows only, but there is a user guide on Github showing a manual process for doing this:

https://github.com/mihic/linux-intel-undervolt

I haven't tried undervolting from within Linux, so I can't speak for how effective or easy this method is.

Nickisai

Has anyone experienced any battery life changes as a result of overclocking?

Craig Ward

You would expect a reduction in battery life from overclocking. The potential battery life changes mentioned in this article are as a result of the slightly lower power draw on a system that has been undervolted.

Will

Hi, I'm having difficulty with my underclocking with XTU. I have an X1 Carbon 2017 and I've ran a 9+ hour stress test after a -0.110V core voltage adjustment with no issues. I wanted to adjust the cache voltage as well but it seems to be linked with the core voltage. Is this normal?

Also, running a graphics stress test causes a "reference_by_pointer" BSOD when I change the core voltage but there is no error at default settings. Should I reduce the core voltage change then? Thank you.

Valantar

Even if I didn't look up this guide until after I'd undervolted my CPU ( ::) ), it was still great to confirm my assumptions and have everything verified in a thorough manner. Thanks for a great guide!

Also, either your average UV numbers (-0,060 to -0,080V for KBL) are conservative, or there's really something to Intel's binning process: my i7-7600U happily runs both CPU, Cache and iGPU at -0,100V. 0,110 causes crashes, but 0,100 is stable after 6 hours of Prime95/3 hours of 3DMark looping. Good enough for me.

Also, the UV gave me a 10% increase in Cinebench scores, and generally allows for significantly higher boost clocks - around 3-400MHz in the XTU Stress Test, at no change or a minor reduction in temperatures. Not bad at all for maybe 20 minutes of actual effort.

Will: yes, it seems that core and cache voltages are either linked or XTU treats them as linked (makes sense as cache clocks are sort of linked to CPU clocks). Adjusting one adjusts the other, at least for me.

What kind of graphics stress test are you running? Something reasonable (3DMark, Unigine Heaven or Superposition), or a power virus like FurMark or MSI Kombustor? The latter will at least tend towards making things crash "unrealistically", i.e. inducing loads you'll never, ever see in real-world usage. On paper, undervolting the CPU shouldn't affect GPU tests at all, but of course the CPU will always be active feeding the GPU data, so there's probably some correlation there. I'd try stepping back the voltage a few steps and redoing the GPU stress test until stable - though unless you game on your ultrabook (or require absolute 100% stability), you're probably okay leaving it at -0,110V.

Mario Estolano

Thanks, @craig. Really useful guide!

I noticed that everytime Intel max turbo was activated my DELL G7 CPU (Intel 8750H) got really hot (96-99ºC). Since the internal coolers are unable to chill it fast enough, the CPU suffered thermal throttling (Temp>98ºC) to avoid damage and so its frequency got lowered to 3.30-3.40GHz for some good seconds here and then.

I started undervolting (XTU) it on -0.01V increments and checked that -0.150V was the maximum with no system failure (4 days up and counting, sir) and this way I was able to eliminate thermal throttling and improving performance in Passmark CPU mark (+5%) and Cinebench CPU (+15%).

For my use, in the place I live (sunny Brazil), I also decided to turn the CPU turbo max mode off, because it caused CPU to often suffer power throttling and the average CPU frequency over a 30-60 minutes stress was lower (3.60GHz) than the average CPU frequency with turbo max off (3.80GHz). I tried to lower the max TDP to 55W, got better average performance than with factory 78W, but still worst than turning if off.

I stress the CPU for +-30min with Passmark CPU very long duration complete test, 5 iterations. After tweaking, no more thermal throttling =) but still some power throttling =/ .

If somebody else has tweaked his/her G7, could please share which voltage and TDP limit values used?

Thanks.
Mario Estolano.

A. Ila

Giancalasso

Thanks for the guide, but when i try to udervolting my i7-6700HQ (2.60GHz) on my HP OMEN 15 a scary message appears advising that on my computer Watchdog coverage is currently unavailable.

Actually, it is a very useful feature, in fact, When watchdog coverage is enabled and your system crashes, your computer can reboot automatically and notify Intel XTU to revert to a stable state. Having this feature helps avoid the cases where new hardware settings are so unstable that the computer cannot even load the operating system or execute applications properly.

So, someone can suggest me how to install or enable it? Because there is a post about the same identical problem (and computer) in the Intel forum, but without a real solution.
thanks

Iorman

When I used XTU to undervolt yesterday my temperature drop down but the problem is when I shut down my laptop and then after a few hours I open it the voltage returns to default. What will be the solution to that?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview