News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Opinion: The iPhone X notch is not great design, so why copy it?

Started by Redaktion, March 08, 2018, 02:23:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Apple has historically been known for its industrial design prowess, understandably sparking the creation of many an imitation. Given the controversial iPhone X notch is not considered one of its greatest design elements, the mind boggles as to why smartphone makers are falling over themselves to copy it.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Opinion-The-iPhone-X-notch-is-not-great-design-so-why-copy-it.287580.0.html

blurain604

I think whether the notch is good or bad design is very much a matter of opinion. While it is a design compromise, it's also a step in the right direction. Half measures are still good when the full measure is years away. I think the fact that other makers are copying Apple really underscores the fact that phones are not just pieces of technology or design, in the same way cars aren't just things that get you from A to B. A phone, much like a car, conveys so much about your tastes, your values, your status, etc. So because Apple is the coveted brand that it is, other brands what to emulate whatever Apple does, regardless of whether they think it's good or not, hoping that some of the Apple magic will rub off on them.

ienarist928374

Easy, that's what the market wants or to be exact they need model(s) intended for specific market. I'm pretty sure the number is quite big hence many companies doing this, e.g Asus, OPPO and co., upcoming leaked P20 and other Chinese companies. There's even a copy of huawei P10 design.

DAN G.

Is this some free comercial for Iphone X? As far as I know, the Esential was the first with that notch. It is like in those "Mafia" movies when the BOSS is saying what some other person had already said before and takes all the credit.  :D

Tweaker

jnik

As mobile developer we love these custom layout challenges. The more the better.

Crayer

It all depends on how and what customization is needed in terms of layout. Seeing how Asus does it so far, apps simply need to support a regular 18:9 and notification bar is the thing getting put on either side of the notch - saving space in the general screen.

eu

People saying "That's what the market wants" ... But the market does not want the notch, iPhone X is suffering from poor sales, Apple is rushing to release another phone, people regretting to have purchased and recomended the device, etc...

People are also staying away from iPhone X because of the childish around it, the look, marketing and of course the name.

hrinho

To the author: you didnt think far enough.

companies do not copy the iphone notch just for fun. there IS in fact a simple reason for the notch. it is the result of what customers want.

users are used to have front facing cameras (just think about selfies) AND want a big screen ratio. today there is no other way to implement these 2 major user desires than making notches.

bezelless near 100% screen ratio without frontcam and notch? wouldnt sell, users love selfies ( unless invisible behind screen cameras are invented).

the s9 style design with frontcam and up down bezels? looks outdated, people want a bezel less full screen experience.

Notwiththeherd

Nope the author is spot on.

1. If the notch was such a good idea, then Apple themselves would have gotten rid off iPhones 8 and 8 Plus at launch and be done with it. I wonder why... probably a rocket scientist should enlighten us.

2. "Because the market wants it."
Really? Says who? Certainly not me and last time I checked any OEMs never sent out a survey nor crowdsource for ideas.

3. "Half measures are good".
Not when it's stupid and forces apps to letterbox or downscale, leaving just 1 edge of the screen suddenly enlarged as a margin in landscape view. I dare say Samsung still made the right call with S9.

4. Full screen means NO notch. Period. You think it's the opposite? Cool. Just don't do that thinking for others. Share the burden buddy.

5. Try pulling this stunt on a desktop or laptop screen. Clearly the market would want that.

6. There's still at least 10% of the user base who're aware enough and realistic about current tech limitations. Thinner side bezels are still fine as long as the top and chin are there to function optimally with all necessary sensors and modules along with bonuses such as front firing speakers.

7. iPhone represents status   ::).. if by that anyone means servitude to telco device contracts for phone ownership and drone like mindset to even support anti user practices such as "silent" forced throttling to "prolong battery life" at the expense of user consent wow what a status to be in.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview