News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad E480 (i5-8250U, UHD 620, SSD) Laptop Review

Started by Redaktion, March 06, 2018, 21:25:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Unpretentious workhorse! After having recently reviewed the 2018 ThinkPad equipped with a Radeon RX 550 GPU, we now have the entry-level SKU in our lab. We are particularly interested in temperatures, which were the E480's most pronounced and prominent weak spot.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-E480-i5-8250U-UHD-620-SSD-Laptop-Review.287452.0.html

MikeyJ

About the poor write performance with this unit, try this:

Could you, please, take a look at Standard NVME Controller options in Device Manager for its IDs? Double click, Details tab, Option list, Hardware IDs entry. Copy the values from the field below and post here.

EDIT: I disabled write cache buffer flushing for the disk and the write speed is now 1300 MB/s! How one tickbox can affect the performance so much?

indaugas

Hard to understand what though the producer putting only 4 GB RAM in WIN 10 64 bit system?! And what is this - 88% rating for the computer which is designed to work only with Word or Excel??
Dear www.notebookcheck.net, please stop misleading the consumers giving 88% rating for the computer which useless even working with internet browser.

Dmitry

indaugas quote:
"Hard to understand what though the producer putting only 4 GB RAM in WIN 10 64 bit system?!"

My friend, I think you're absolutely right with it. But I guess, guys who reads notebookcheck's reviews won't buy such configuration ever!
Due they understand what you understand and I understand).
Thist 88% rating of laptop (I see that so), but not the configuration obviously.

Really, producers, windows 10-64 and 4 Gb RAM? Are you kidding? There are plenty wonderful OSs for low RAM capacity, based on Linux ofc...

Jose

Hello,

Where can you buy this laptop for the price stated (599 euros) ?

Why there are no links to shops ?

nachum37

Lenovo lies in the specification.
lsusb -t in Linux returns only a 5000M device, ie 3.1 and not 3.2.
Unbelievable

Bill Brown

Quote from: MikeyJ on March 09, 2018, 01:29:57
EDIT: I disabled write cache buffer flushing for the disk and the write speed is now 1300 MB/s! How one tickbox can affect the performance so much?

Risky. From the net: "Having this option selected will put your filesystem and any important data stored on the drive at risk in the event of any external interruptions such as power failures."

JOHN879

E480 has been one of the terrible ones. The display was horrible even with the 1920 IPS option. In fact almost all of the laptops, this one, T480,T480s have horrible displays. The colors and brightness are darker even when you pump up the brightness to the max. I would not touch these again, might go with Dell though even there some displays are not that great. It just seems that the 1920 and over res is not working well with laptops as they get smaller and thinner. oh well.

terrible terrible laptop

bullshit review.

I got this laptop 2 days ago just for battery life but this review is fucking misleading. it  depletes faster than my dell 7559 (and you know its a gaming laptop) and screen brightness SUCKS!

yun

I own the laptop. The display is seriously great, for the money its a bang. Not sure if i am lucky with my display or not, but the IPS display seriously made me amazed, way better then the competition in the price range. Just be careful to choose the higher spec fullHD ips display. Was fairy surprised how the E models are well built.

nachum37

Quote from: yun on October 24, 2018, 18:43:14
I own the laptop. The display is seriously great, for the money its a bang. Not sure if i am lucky with my display or not, but the IPS display seriously made me amazed, way better then the competition in the price range. Just be careful to choose the higher spec fullHD ips display. Was fairy surprised how the E models are well built.
The Lenovo's displays changes between areas, depends in supplies and sub-model that loacl importer has been order. I've get better display then this review, and a LOT better SSD.

Just ask local buyers for review, and research in Lenovo prefs db for exactly parts of local machine model. There is no other way to know.

Unless a display has all three - 350 nits of brightness, 90% sRGB color gamut and 1000:1 contrast ratio - at the very minimum which is only average for mid-range laptops, it is beneath the current standard. The only FHD displays on Thinkpads surpassing this baseline are X1 and more recent P series. Add to the insult is that Thinkpads are supposed to be the top premium and golden professional standard, as defined by their pricing. Hence all the disappointing reaction from the crowd.

Even HP has been offering 100% sRGB, 700 nits FHD IPS screens ACROSS ALL Elitebooks, without taking away any cheaper and more expensive alternatives.
E and L series, regardless of their supply lottery or screen resolutions are simply inadequate and not up to scratch. It's your loss Lenovo.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview