News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 2018 (WQHD HDR, i7,) Laptop review

Started by Redaktion, February 20, 2018, 19:53:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Great display, but high temperatures - Live review. Lenovo has upgraded its flagship ThinkPad X1 Carbon for 2018. The new model sports both a quad-core ultra-low voltage (ULV) processor and a very bright WQHD HDR display. We have just got the device into our editorial department to give you our first impressions.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-2018-WQHD-HDR-i7-Laptop-review.284682.0.html

Dude

50 degrees Celsius on the surface.  Halfway to the boiling point.  Nice. 

Grégoire

Damn this trend of glossy screens. When will we have a good laptop with a 8th gen cpu and a matte screen ?

Francois

With those temperatures, you can't use this laptop on a lap for any serious work.  So what's the point of this thin and light laptop ?

Rational Guy

It is funny that notebookreview first says that they are happy that lenovo removed the temp limit and then voices concerns about the high temperature and concludes that it should have been left intact! You are making lenovo mad as they for sure read these reviews. Just put yourself in their position and look at your review.

Why would anyone stress such a thin laptop at the first place for extended periods of time? If you are going to have such a continuous load on your thin laptop like this, the you are better off with a *workstation* mobile. Don't agree? Well, the laptop you are expecting has not been born yet. Maybe in the future. We are not in that stage to have thinness+continuous load+good thermals in one package yet.

Tweaker

@Rational Guy

The Macbook Pros are pretty good thermal and performance wise.  Max bottom temperature under load is 43.9 degrees C as reviewed here, which is barely above body temperature.  It also doesn't throttle under load according to this website.  Costs an arm and a leg though.

Hot Air

I have the 5th gen. Got it from work. Use it 8 hours a day. Fan constantly blowing hot air to right hand as I use the mouse.

Who thought it was a great idea to put the fan on the right side. Such a premium device. Such flawed design. God damn it.

Liam Stewart

I think concluding that maxing it out on all 4 cores for an hour makes a laptop as thin as this hot is a bit of a "thanks captain obvious" fact. Real world "sustained" workloads do not push the hardware anywhere near this far, and expecting the thinnest most ultra portable laptop lenovo produces to have the performance capabilities of laptops twice as thick is unrealistic.

If you are a programmer, writer, manager, etc then this laptop is pretty much god. If you are a 3d graphics designer or video editor you are looking at the wrong tool.

Don't use a watchmakers screwdriver if you need to take the wheels off of a tractor.

Programmer

@ Liam Stewart

I do a lot of programming and compiling with thin and light devices.  Compilations can be very demanding and prolonged.  I also run test cases of my codes on my machine, which are also very demanding on matrix math.  Just as well, while I compile and produce data, I don't sit around gawking at the screen, I do other things with my laptop like watch stuff or read.  Having a device running this hot on my lap is not okay to me.

I also use Macbook Pros for development and debugging, they are much cooler.

GortiZ

I'm really curious to see how the X1 Yoga 2018 stands up against this on the performance side... I expect it to be slower.. but how much?

Bobby

I just got one of these as my work computer.

It has the 2560 x 1440 display. I believe it's the HDR / dolby vision as the screen is glossy. How can I confirm that though?

Also, does anyone know if the battery is removable?

Laurentiu

Why not include PCMark 8 Benchmark too? For office/writing use that benchmark is perhaps more relevant.

Hoping I don't have a niche request, I'd like to see an inclusion of WLAN Card transmission speeds.

mario1234

The test of the following config would be nice
- Matte 2560 300nits no-hdr
- i5-8350u vs i7-8550u (8250 is limited to 8gb ram :( )
in terms of: power consumption, battery life, temperatures, noise

Yuri Petrov

Matteus

But why in lenovo configuration is - 14" HDR WQHD (2560 x 1440) IPS anti-reflective, anti-smudge, multi-touch with Dolby Vision (500 nits).

Is it anti-reflective or not? Something was changed?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview