News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus VivoBook 15 Laptop (i5-8250U, GeForce 940MX, FHD) Review

Started by Redaktion, January 24, 2018, 13:04:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Not quite grown up yet. The new VivoBook from Asus sounds promising: a new quad-core processor and a dedicated graphics unit are wrapped in a premium-looking case. The sales price also seems very fair. While it looks similar to the high-quality ZenBook visually, taking a closer look, this is only the surface.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-VivoBook-15-Laptop-i5-8250U-GeForce-940MX-FHD-Review.279694.0.html

Dylan Ch'ng

Why do companies still ship laptops with 940MX and 5400rpm HDD's?

My five year old Toshiba is (debatable) more usable than the Asus VivoBook 15 solely because my five year Toshiba has a SSD.

CheckTom

"it is unfortunate that only plastic parts are used"

But this is how they make it so light (and without increasing the cost).  Some people might not like that trade off, but it is a legitimate design decision, and seems like a good one to me.

DavidH

"strong throttling under load"

Have you actually looked at reviews of other laptops in that price range that use i5-8250U?
Because their throttling is similar but their cinebench scores are much, much worse...
So I think it instead should be highlighted as a positive that even while throttled, this machine for some reason performs a lot better than all competitors.

arvidasentaja

Quote from: Dylan Ch'ng on February 01, 2018, 11:19:11
Why do companies still ship laptops with 940MX and 5400rpm HDD's?

My five year old Toshiba is (debatable) more usable than the Asus VivoBook 15 solely because my five year Toshiba has a SSD.

There is usually several different models to choose. Model at test is starting model , most of these ship with ssd + hdd.

Jorge

hello i have a question is the grafics card upgradable and can i add a ssd or ram?

avinicius

Quote from: DavidH on July 31, 2018, 17:30:00
So I think it instead should be highlighted as a positive that even while throttled, this machine for some reason performs a lot better than all competitors.

It has been highlighted.

"However, the CPU still continues to run at a high speed level above the basic core speed. The comparison to similarly equipped competitors shows a large performance advantage of 160 points."

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview