News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

ThinkPad X280 & ThinkPad X380 Yoga: A long overdue redesign and a change of name

Started by Redaktion, January 04, 2018, 09:28:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The development of the ThinkPad X series in the last years wasn´t very revolutionary, but the new ThinkPad X280 announced today represents a big jump forward. Additionally, the ThinkPad Yoga series is being integrated into the X series.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/ThinkPad-X280-ThinkPad-X380-Yoga-A-long-overdue-redesign-and-a-change-of-name.274240.0.html

Yohanes

Do we have more information on Thinkpad Yoga X380 especially whether it will have 25W configured TDP? I have been waiting for Thinkpad Yoga X380 since last year.

Oskar

Seriously, is a new design really better if it means dropping so much in functionality?, do people care so much about physical looks of the laptop even if it is unusable?

What made the x240-x270 a serious working laptop was the builtin 3g/4g, the insane batterylife (72wh external + 24Wh internal ~96Wh) giving around 10-14hours on battery (without considering power consumption a lot) plus powerbridge technology so you could swap batteries on the fly, I have a couple extra batteries with me when i know I might need them and then i can go days without recharging if neccesary (beach, boat, full day of conferencing on battery + coding from the pub in the evening?, no problem at all)

Cutting battery capacity in half as well as removing power-bridge technology, and then telling people to recharge more often is not a solution when they need more battery capacity and there is no power easily available.

computer science geek

Okey, so Lenovo issn't going to make any more Thinkpads geared toward the mobile tech / science / IT crowd... To me the x280 seem like an utterly useless device to bring with on an expedition, for someone working with stationary tech (eg. wind turbines, radio masts), (re)building infrastructure at any remote place in the world, security professionals on audit, anyone in a data-center or even your regular big business IT-department who might be working anywhere but their desk for a full day.

they basically took away any reason for anyone but a copy pasting, github-glued developer curating their profile out of starbucks, who can't quite afford the x1 carbon, to buy this abomination of a x2xx laptop.

Because that's all the x280 is. A not quite as expensive x1 carbon with one less thunderbolt port, one less inch of real estate and they couldn't even bother to do something about the bezels to give it a single tangible advantage (footprint) over the upcoming carbon (which most likely is going to rock the same chassi as the 2017 model).

guess I hoped for too much when I hoped for a refresh that would keep the strengths of this solid series. That would ship with the 8xxxx cpu series, maybe spor: a 13" display on the same (or even slightly smaller) footprint, maybe ditch the 2.5 inch bay for actual dimm slot based dual channel memory.

Tony

X series is going down in portability/useful features, therefore I've swapped my lovely old X220 with a 11e series Thinkpad. The value one gets for a 11e is absolutely incredible and more than enough to cope with everyday needs. And as a bonus you get a RAM slot, a wired ethernet port, a robust build that is easily repairable.

Tong

And further and further away Lenovo goes from business users... I mean WHY make it slimmer? This is the ThinkPad not the IdeaPad! Business users care more about functionality  than slimness. No full size ethernet, powerbridge and bottom docking connector.. ThinkPads are becoming more and more bastardized into consumer laptops...

Alessandro

Siamo sicuri che Lenovo stia scegliendo la giusta strada.
ThinkPad è sinonimo di notebook business dove mobilità è si d'obbligo, ma soprattutto flessibilità, cosa che si perde di versione in versione.
Abbiamo visto sparire le porte seriali, il monitor 4:3, la mitica tastiera ibm, la luce sul monitor, le RAM sostituibili, l'hard disk estraibile, le doppie batterie a caldo, la docking station, la porta ethernet...adesso basta, se volevo un Acer bastava dirlo immediatamente!

Vorrei nuovamente un x201 o addirittura x61s con la tecnologia moderna!
16:10 una tastiera old style

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview