News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

eGPU: Two PCI-e lanes, no problem?

Started by Redaktion, December 04, 2017, 05:17:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Conventional wisdom says that Thunderbolt 3 in a 4-lane PCI-e configuration is a must to have a good gaming experience when using external GPUs. Benchmarks by Stephen Burgess of Own or Disown may surprise you.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/eGPU-Two-PCI-e-lanes-no-problem.266658.0.html

LL

Would be nice to know if this also occurs in GPU compute calculation like rendering  for example with Redshift, Blender Cycles, Octane and other GPU renderers.

austinlxx

I just built an eGPU rig with a Latitude 7480 (i7-6600u, 32GB RAM, SSD SATA) with the Aorus GTX 1070 Gaming Box.

Here's the odd part though
I'm able to play games like Shadow of War, Divinity 2, etc... at ultra resolution using the internal display. I've researched and the general statement is that you can't utilize the eGPU with the internal display, yet here I am...

Maybe you guys at Notebookcheck can investigate or provide input on this?

Douglas Black

Quote from: austinlxx on December 05, 2017, 09:01:15
I just built an eGPU rig with a Latitude 7480 (i7-6600u, 32GB RAM, SSD SATA) with the Aorus GTX 1070 Gaming Box.

Here's the odd part though
I'm able to play games like Shadow of War, Divinity 2, etc... at ultra resolution using the internal display. I've researched and the general statement is that you can't utilize the eGPU with the internal display, yet here I am...

Maybe you guys at Notebookcheck can investigate or provide input on this?

Oh you can definitely use the internal display. You will just see a 15% additional performance drop with 4 lanes, and maybe 30% with 2 lanes

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview