News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

AMD Ryzen Mobile (Raven Ridge) - Back to the top?

Started by Redaktion, October 26, 2017, 15:02:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

After the successful launch of the Ryzen desktop processors, AMD now launches the new architecture for notebooks. Thanks to the new Vega GPUs, AMD wants to beat the competition from Intel. The integrated GPU part was already superior the counterpart from Intel in the past, but the processor is now supposed to be improved as well. We introduce the new architecture and show initial benchmarks from AMD's reference platform.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-Mobile-Raven-Ridge-Back-to-the-top.260136.0.html

Mads

law

This is the moment we're waiting for, finally a worth contender to intel's mobile platform. Hopefully it performs as advertised.

Tryas

The more important than performance is how OEMs screw their designs. Probably they will castrate it by using slower SSDs or not using SSD at all, using slow RAM and RAMs in single channel. And all these things, like last gen. Kaveri was not so bad chip but there was no good device with it...

86lappytester

I am also concerned with OEM designed. Especially if they used single channel Ram as well as slower HDD/SDD.
Not to mention driver for the Vega graphics if they want to push as low voltage gaming device.
Which they should have 6 months or so graphic driver update.
OEM please don't screw up.
Cuz I know most are familiar with designs for INTEL but not AMD.

Hashhakaj

Very good announcement from AMD. I like the honest gaming benchmark they deliver. They didn't show any gaming in dx12 .. the fps are decent.

Only some stupid things that AMD have to wake up.
1) They still put the APU in 14 and 15 inch laptop. That will never appear to be for powerful and power efficient laptop.
2) look at Acer feature. It feature dedicated AMD rx540 for Raven Ridge 7. The Vega iGPU is decent. Why put dedicated card that will consumes extra power and reduce the battery and required extra power adapter. I'm sure the Acer will require 65w adapter instead of 45w- which is not powerefficient in 2018-

Technerd

I have the HP Envy 360 with the Ryzen 5 and I think it is really a game changer for AMD. It is a fast chip, doesn't heat up like old AMD chips(Turion 64) and has good battery life.

I read a lot of reviews about the HP and was unsure if I was going to be happy due to so many poor reviews and benchmarks but I found out that all my worries were for nothing. The HP is a really nice machine. It is unfortunate that they ship the big box store model with a spinning hard drive instead of an SSD. I think a lot of the poor reviews have to do with the HDD.

I think this is one of the best options available until the AMD Ryzen 7 2700u machines come out. As for the size it is perfect. I like 15" and 14" as I find 13" too small and 17" way too big. It is also very slim comparable to a Macbook Pro 15" latest gen.

The thing I like about this PC is it has quality components for a decent cost. I opted for the SSD and 16gb ram. The slim bezel FHD glass screen is very nice, speakers get loud and have decent bass for a laptop. The overall build quality is very good and is all aluminum chasis.

As for performance my daughter has an Acer Aspire with the 8th gen core i5 8250 with 8 gb ddr4 and my AMD seems faster for most tasks but there are some times where the Intel seems faster but it is really hard to tell any difference in person. The Acer has a dedicated MX150 Nvidia graphics card and I haven't yet had a chance to compare gaming performance.

Considering these are just coming out and I ordered direct from HP I still feel the cost was reasonable. In fact, I had a Macbook Pro late 2016 which I sold to buy the HP and I had a lot of extra cash-several hundred dollars and for me I feel no loss in performance or quality. I actually like the HP more as the touchbar is not as usefull as the touch screen. I do like Mac OS but it complicates things for me with my Android phone and use of MS office. In the end the Apple was nice but more expensive in every way with zero added benefit-in fact it was a loss when you factor in adapters, apple care, etc.

Also with all the Intel security issues lately I am happy to be on an AMD platform. I know there is no completely secure computer but some of the latest Intel blunders are pretty bad. Having an AMD machine does not make you immune but with a good security solution like ESET you are better off than most.

Lastly a lot of reviews and benchmarks are a little biased at this point. Real world use of the Ryzen 5 seems better than the benchmarks suggest. This is just the start for AMD. Hopefully they can keep up the pressure and do a better job of driver support. I like having a choice and finally I don't have to suffer by trying something other than Intel!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview