News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Test Acer Predator Triton 700 (i7-7700HQ, GTX 1080 Max-Q, Full-HD) Laptop

Started by Redaktion, September 28, 2017, 10:30:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Courageously new. Acer´s new ultra-slim 15-inch Predator Triton 700 gaming notebook is nothing short of innovative. Alongside its mechanical keyboard, the unusual position and design of the touchpad makes for some interesting new looks. Can the Triton 700 in its elegant case combined with a GTX 1080 Max-Q rival the Asus ROG Zephyrus?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Test-Acer-Predator-Triton-700-i7-7700HQ-GTX-1080-Max-Q-Full-HD-Laptop.251794.0.html

MOFO

Anyone that picks this over the ASUS is out of there mind.
I like the Max Q concept but at this price ACER is insane.

Ergonomic Nightmare!

I've seen other laptops making this strange choice to flip the position of the keyboard & trackpad and it just beggars belief that manufacturers are still attempting this strange, un-ergonomic nightmare!  For a start it means that there's no wrist rest - why have an excellent mechanical keyboard yet don't provide a wrist rest - it's like making sure as a competetive sprinter that you have the best running shoes but you cut your other leg off to pay for the privelage!  By definition this also means the track pad is relocated to above the keyboard - who wants to reach all the way up there to trackpad, and then when you're using it where do you rest your wrist - on the keyboard keys?!  Plus, they've made the trackpad out of glass - your finger's not gonna slide very well on that is it!  Not worth even considering the rest of the laptop when these serious ergonomic flaws are present - dealbreaker!

DonGod

In Europe Acer's starting price is not competitive. Current price is nearly 650 Euros higher than the Zephyrus. In case you are willing to buy such a machine and accept the drawbacks (touchpad, keyboard, battery runtime), this price difference can not be ignored.

Although I like the shape of the Triton, the Predator name on the lid is another dealbreaker for me. This is ever harder to swallow than the ROG Logo and the red LEDs of the Zephyrus when it is open.

ThatOldGuy

Quote from: DonGod on September 29, 2017, 14:58:20
In Europe Acer's starting price is not competitive. Current price is nearly 650 Euros higher than the Zephyrus. In case you are willing to buy such a machine and accept the drawbacks (touchpad, keyboard, battery runtime), this price difference can not be ignored.

Although I like the shape of the Triton, the Predator name on the lid is another dealbreaker for me. This is ever harder to swallow than the ROG Logo and the red LEDs of the Zephyrus when it is open.

It is a complete rip off of the Transformers logo, LoL. Remove the forehead, cheeks and chin blocks from the Tranformers logo.

Almost as hideous as the Aorus eagle with bicept/ fisticuffs logo. Alternatively we have tangle green snakes and bright red dragon shields... ugh, why do companies think these are cool?

DonGod

Quote from: ThatOldGuy on September 29, 2017, 17:31:14
Quote from: DonGod on September 29, 2017, 14:58:20

It is a complete rip off of the Transformers logo, LoL. Remove the forehead, cheeks and chin blocks from the Tranformers logo.

Almost as hideous as the Aorus eagle with bicept/ fisticuffs logo. Alternatively we have tangle green snakes and bright red dragon shields... ugh, why do companies think these are cool?

No clue. The recent survey showed people like a more subtle design, less noise etc.

Maybe this goes into the heads of the designers eventually.

dthrp

My guess at this horror is that usually top management from multiple departments that barely communicate who either have their heads in their asses or who are not genuinely interested are in charge of end product development, when really it should be at the hands of a few experienced and coordinated individuals.

Tweaker

ACER has lost it.  What a hunk of ergonomic nightmare and reliability uncertainty.  Stupidly designed chassis as well.

Gamer PC

I have this laptop and am not sure I'll keep it.  The key board is excellent.   Plenty of power to run any game.  The track pad is driving me nuts.  When I try to swipe up or down on a web page it zooms in or out.  Unusable and maddening...   I did deactivate the zoom option in the mouse settings.  And its more tolerable now.  But scrolling up and down pages is laggy as hell.  I don't mind the track pad being up top.  However, it is located right above all the heat and the glass surface is very hot under load.  I had the Asus Zephyrus and the bottom plate was very cool under load as the laptop raises itself when open.  So the bottom of the device is not near the heat source.  However the Asus has a virtual number pad.  Annoying...  I returned the Asus as one of the speakers was blown.  3K laptops are not feeling like a 3K laptop.  Too bad Apple cant get it together and include a 1080 gtx.   

Brokz

I've got this laptop, a version with 2 x Kingston 512gb ssds (2.8gb/s read speed) in RAID 0.

It's been a blast. The worst part of this laptop is its price. Otherwise, an amazing unit.

With liquid metal used as thermal paste, the temps can go down 20C, which is insane. Linus did a video of it recently, on this model in particular.

I wish acer had done something like that from the start, but I realize it can lead to more issues and costs for them.

I am probably going to request a re-paste from their local service in an year, or so, using the best possible thermal paste, no liquid metal.

Overall, the laptop feels amazing. Great build quality. No overheating near the keyboard. Nobody really uses a touchpad while gaming, so I don't consider that a con. Performance is just mind-blowing, especially at this size. Cooling could have been a tad bit better, maybe by increasing production cost a bit. It would have been worth it for a machine of this caliber. Regardless, it works MUCH better than a gl703vm, for example.

If I am to be nitpicky, I would have loved a faster screen, though even with these speeds it feels amazing. That's mostly due to the g-sync and 120hz capabilities. But why include such a slow monitor when you are making a gamer's laptop in particular? Makes little sense to me, but I can live with that.

The pros outweight the cons, imho. Worst factor is the hefty pricetag, but that's why you have options to pay in installments, etc.

It was worth it to me, given that the other models did not attract me as much.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview