News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Pre-orders for the Asus ZenBook Pro UX550 start at US$1,699

Started by Redaktion, September 27, 2017, 12:30:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The ultraslim notebook can be pre-ordered at B&H and Newegg. It is powered by the Core i7-7700HQ quad-core CPU coupled with up to 16 GB DDR4-2400 RAM, and comes with a 512 GB NVMe SSD, on top of the 1 TB HDD. It also features the GeForce GTX 1050 4 GB GPU, so it can handle some light gaming. The 1080p multi-touch display version costs US$1,699.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Pre-orders-for-the-Asus-ZenBook-Pro-UX550-start-at-US-1-699.251704.0.html

Ednumero

To add, we don't know if the 4K model is true 3840x2160 or if this is another PenTile (RG/BW) display. Last year's Zenbook Pro UX501VW model used the latter.

I think in order to help avoid perpetuating the ability for ASUS and other companies to do this, we need to clearly and accurately call this out in articles such as these. A simple note such as "choice between '4K' (unconfirmed if true 4K or PenTile) or Full HD" I think would be a good start. More, such as "Last year's UX501VW, as well as a number of other ASUS laptops, used PenTile (RG/BW) displays for this spec, which stirred controversy because they do not produce the full detail of the resolution when compared to full RGB matrix displays, and because the difference tends not to be stated in product specifications. We do not know if this model has moved on from that." is of course always welcome.

To clarify, by "clearly and accurately", I mean to avoid using buzzwords that hold it to undue regard (don't call it PenTile "technology"), to avoid beating around the issue that PenTile is worse (don't compare it to the "traditional" RGB matrix, compare it to the "full" RGB matrix), and to avoid touting its "advantages" without putting them into context (a PenTile RG/BW display can use less power and cost less to make, but so can a "lower resolution" full RGB display with the same lower effective sharpness, which won't carry PenTile's issues or its tendency to be deceptively marketed).

There is also an unconfirmed rumor that the 4K model is cancelled, which is discussed in this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/laptops/comments/7060hy/so_apparently_the_longawaited_ux550_4k_version/

dthrp

I don't know, having worked at one myself I think most manufacturers are too stubborn and overbearing when it comes to these adaptations. In my experience, not buying the products altogether and furthermore refraining from recommending them is the best way to vote and hope they take the hint at least. Otherwise, they mostly continue to go about their business disregarding their customers in every nauseating way.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview