News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Live Review: Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC (Ryzen 7 1700, Radeon RX 580) Laptop

Started by Redaktion, September 10, 2017, 17:36:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Sensation While AMD's Ryzen architecture is already available in the desktop range for several months, the notebook range had do wait patiently for a long time. The waiting is over now: Asus is the first manufacturer who provided us with a gaming laptop with 8-core CPU and Radeon RX 580. Our live review will reveal whether the bundle is able to challenge a combination of Intel and Nvidia hardware.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Live-Review-Asus-ROG-Strix-GL702ZC-Ryzen-7-1700-Radeon-RX-580-Laptop.247548.0.html

half baked?

What's the deal with the half-baked article publishing?!  Can't it wait until you've finished it before you post it - confused!  But as always, I like your website & the articles & reviews that are posted here on notebookcheck.net, just don't get the posting of a half-baked unfinished review.  This review is potentially also very interesting given that it's a rare beast containing AMD Ryzen with AMD GPU, just would be good to do it justice by posting a finished article.

fwip

it's a "live" review, if you don't like it, wait until it says it's completed to read it.

Law

woah this is interesting laptop. yes i've heard the prototype months ago but curious about it's potential. it turns out the multi-core score is really stands out from the crowd and the single core isn't that far away with 7700HQ standards. GGWP AMD and intel should really be aware of ryzen's future implementation in mobile uses.

rinnnn

Would pick this over a laptop with an Intel cpu eg. i7 6700/7700, due to the number of cores. More cores is the future

Meteorhead

I would be interested in the exact type of memory installed in these machines. (Besides being 2400 MHz and CL17) I am going to by one of these alongside an extra 16 GB of RAM, but I'm going to cry if I install the second SO-DIMM and the MB won't boot.

vincentxp

John Kokes

Great start on this article. I was waiting for this  :) It would be great if you compared video rendering and encoding on this machine compared to a Nvidia machine of the same general specs to see the difference in Nvidia playback engine vs AMD. In Adobe Premiere Pro, the Nvidia Mercury Playback Engine makes a HUGE difference in video rendering. How good is the AMD graphics compared ? Thanks for the great work !  :)

No miracles here - whatever AMD accomplished with Ryzen is pretty much negated with the outdated 580.
The price could be lower

DracoMortingen

Quote from: 4004 on September 12, 2017, 15:20:57
No miracles here - whatever AMD accomplished with Ryzen is pretty much negated with the outdated 580.
The price could be lower

Which part of RX 580 is outdated?
Keep in mind that GL series are ASUS medium segment also.

Judging by how it performs - pretty much every part. Especially the power draw, as usual.
Mid range or not, this is disappointing

Azix

That's a really good laptop. I am not much for gaming on a laptop but a 580 should do for the little I would be doing. Its a 1080p screen so that should do  with the included freesync support.

The biggest thing is that 8 core processor that destroys everything else. It can be used for heavy loads while still being responsive. This would last a person years in college. Doing your school work etc.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview