News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell offers to replace swelling XPS 15 9550 batteries for free, even if out-of-warranty

Started by Redaktion, September 10, 2017, 17:19:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Users are reporting that Dell is now accepting out-of-warranty batteries of the XPS 15 9550 for free replacements. There were problems with batches of 84Wh batteries that were bulging and pushing against the trackpad, which not only hindered the trackpad function but also posed a safety hazard.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-offers-to-replace-swelling-XPS-15-9550-batteries-for-free-even-if-out-of-warranty.247546.0.html

Tx155

Dell should have offered to replace the buggy 9550 laptops (eventually after 6 months of hardware issues (mainly BSOD crashes) I returned the laptop and received my money back).

Jim Jenson

They are not offering to replace my battery even though it is definitely swollen and appears to be a huge fire hazard. Maybe they would prefer to replace my entire home when it burns down due to this obviously defective battery? My XPS 15 is a 9530 which is apparently not part of the recall.

Ian Shepherd

It's not only the 15 that is experiencing this problem. MY XPS 13 9350 has a swollen battery after just 16 months use from new causing casing, touchpad and keypad displacement identical to that shown in pictures of affected XPS 15 models.

Contacting Dell support was a complete waste of time. They dismissed that there was a problem completely at first, but then admitted that the 9550 model did have a problem with swollen batteries. As far as Dell are concerned it's out of warranty and furthermore they cannot help directly as there is no Dell service centre in Cyprus, where I live. I have found many XPS 13 owners reporting the same problem even on the Dell forum, so to deny the XPS 13 also has a problem is farcical. Perhaps not to the same extent as the 15, but the problem DOES exist. It's time that Dell had the integrity to admit that their sub standard batteries will swell and eventually cause damage well before the battery life is up.

The good news is that today I removed my Dell battery before serious damage occurred, and the casing and keyboard returned to the correct shape. The space bar now works again as it should. The three left hand cells were all swollen both sides. But why has the battery  deformed so early in its life? In my view, it should never do this. Finally, with Dell's head in the sand attitude, is the XPS 13 / 15 one day going to be another Note 7?

kloshi

I'm experiencing this issue with my XPS 15 9530, so I called DELL support team here in Belgium and explained the issue.

They advised to remove the battery immediately (potential safety issue) but refused to offer a free replacement. The reason for the refusal being the fact that my XPS 15 9530 is more than 3 years old (in fact it's 3 years, 8 months old).

Instead they made me an offer to purchase a refurbished battery for ~75€ with a limited warranty (3 months).

Below the photo of the old battery. I haven't decided to buy this refurbished one from them...

https://ibb.co/c6fS1G
https://ibb.co/e8MZgG

(https://ibb.co/e8MZgG)
(https://ibb.co/c6fS1G)
(https://ibb.co/e8MZgG)

lew1s

I have the same issue. I just change in BIOS charge after 50% and dont charge from 90% but I think this will not help. I just tweet to @dellcares if they can send me a new better. Laptop is out of warranty and for 1 years with + out of warrantry fee is around $350. What you suggest? Get a new one or buy warranty? thanks

Patrick Healy

Dell just robocalled me and is shipping a whole new battery for free - entering my service tag into www.dellproduct.com was all that was needed. This is for the XPS 9550 and Precision 5510.

MicroElectronicSum

I have the same problem.  Swollen battery pushing up the track pad.  Except  I have a dell xps15 9530 and not the 9550.    So dell said they won't replace the battery and I have to pay because it's "not a known issue" with the 9530.   

charles

Dell XPS 13 L322X

Same issue. (D)Hell denies any responsibility for the expanding battery. It is the exact same issue as the other XPS models, battery expanding and pushing up the touchpad and rendering it unclickable.

They quoted an exorbitant price for repair, when in actual fact this is like the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 debacle, where insufficient room in the design has been allowed for battery expansion, leading to damage to the device and constituting a fire hazard.

Being top spec Dell machines, one would expect better support and quality.

johnRF

Same issue with 3 xps 13's and now an xps 15 9550. Checked the dell website and the service tag for the xps 15 is not showing as defective. I have spent months arguing with Dell over the xps 13's they refuse to do anything despite the fact that another model has had it's battery recalled. Now I am seeing it start to happen on our xps 15's. Dell needs to take responsibility, I have seen numerous people with the same issue on various sites, I am surprised there's no class action lawsuit on this yet. I refuse to buy Dell equipment going forward, we're buying Lenovo and looking at HP now.

Jillian Holmes

I received a robocall today for one of the 3 Dell XPS 15 9550 units I bought stating the battery has a swelling problem and they will main a replacement. I wonder if they will send a screwdriver that fits with the battery. Not being a tech, I never saw a screwhead that small before and I doubt my local hardware store has a bit that fits? Anyone know what size those are?

Jedster

Just saw this thread, no probs with my XPS 9550, but I thought heck, could do with a new battery and get fresh battery life for free :)

My service tag is an affected one.. I have an extended warranty but used the form at (www.dellproduct.com) and will get an 84whr one shipped in 2 weeks, result! (could have had onsite replacement but not bothered

Bond

Quote from: MicroElectronicSum on December 27, 2017, 02:05:52
I have the same problem.  Swollen battery pushing up the track pad.  Except  I have a dell xps15 9530 and not the 9550.    So dell said they won't replace the battery and I have to pay because it's "not a known issue" with the 9530.

Not a known issue, lol. a few years back 3 of us where we work bought a 9530, all 3 have a swollen batteries, affecting the keyboard and track-pad (unusable, requiring lots of pressure). Using mine right now, have to use an external keyboard and mouse. The other 2 were thrown, going to replace mine soon too, as its not usable as a laptop and well probably dangerous.

Bond

Quote from: MicroElectronicSum on December 27, 2017, 02:05:52

Not a known issue, lol. a few years back 3 of us where we work bought a 9530, all 3 have a swollen batteries, affecting the keyboard and track-pad (unusable, requiring lots of pressure). Using mine right now, have to use an external keyboard and mouse. The other 2 were thrown, going to replace mine soon too, as its not usable as a laptop and well probably dangerous.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview